Anyone Else Get Alergic Reactions From Their Tank?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Puffer Chick, Nov 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

I have really sensitive skin to begin with, but whenever i do maintence to make tank like water changes my arms always burn and get spotty red rashes on my arm for a while, then once that's all gone my arm has a really dry scratchy kind of feeling to it. I plan to get arm length gloves so i won't have to go through this much longer. But i was just wondering if anyone else get's alergic reactions of some kind when working on their tank.

2. Click Here!

3. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

If I go into the tank without gloves the salt dries my skin and this happens. As soon as I wash though it goes away.

4. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

yeah my little sis. you're both just sensitive

5. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

yea i can't stand it, so annoying

6. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i guess theres a lot of us sensitive skin people, really sucks. I even got an alergic reaction when dealing with my puffers frozen bloodworms for a while. My eyes would itch and burn and tear without even touching my eyes, but now my skin is used to the bloodworms, i just make sure i wash my hands before and after

7. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

I don't but I've definitely heard of numerous people with the same issue. You're not alone!

8. Click Here!

9. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

lol glad to hear i'm not the only one

10. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

If I have cuts/scratches it burns a little. It kinda feels like putting salt on a wound LOL.

It just depends. If I go and wash my hands/arms off pretty quickly it dont. If I just dry them off it will burn a little sometimes IME

11. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

with the blood worms,......wash yours hands right after. its the protein thats causing the reaction, most likely.

12. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

hmmm so the protien is what caused it. When i first got the reactions to them i tried switching my puffers food, but he's just sooooooo picky that's the only thing he eats so i had to keep him on it. So for a while i would wear laytex gloves but that was a pain, so i just stuck with washing hands before and after and haven't gotten a reaction from them for a while now