Any vodka dosing guru's in here?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by NittyGritty, Oct 10, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

I have seen that you need to dose much higher amounts of vinegar than vodka.

2. Click Here!

3. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

8x as much I believe.

Servillius likes this.
  4. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

Yeah that's what I've read. I've also read some prefer vinegar over vodka due to vinegar being less prone to causing cyano. Anyone contest to this?

5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

You have a stand, Right?
    What's under it, beside it, behind it?
    Why can't you make a DIY fuge area and start growing as much Chaeto as physicaly possible?

And as someone said, where or where are all those nitrates coming from when you WC ~ 33%/week?

6. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I have to ask, what are you using for a test kit?

7. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

It's a cube, stand doesn't have the room and I can't go outside it.

Possible leaching liverock? I did have an issue as mentioned with my past skimmer not working but I've replaced it.

8. Click Here!

9. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

Red Sea test kit

10. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

Thinking about picking up some checkers for NO/PO

11. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I think leaching refers mostly to phosphates. It takes a low pH (in the 7's). At that point the acidic water begins to break down the calcium/carbonate in the rock which may have integrated phosphates, if the rock was formed in a high phosphate environment. Don't know if it also refers to nitrates.
    The nitrates in your tank seem unusually high (I know, duh). Your stock doesn't seem too much. Your feeding doesn't seem out of line. Water changes are above average. What other elements play a part in forming/exporting nitrates?
    Are you sure about your testing? Have you compared to LFS tests? Salifert tests? I think if the nitrates are from overfeeding, your phosphates would be higher also.
    Tests aside, you know there is a problem. The symptoms: coral browning, algae all over rocks and some corals. I have a stylophora that was brown for months. When I increased and randomized flow, it colored up. Read somewhere that too much light can cause browning by increased pigments to block light. I think carbon dosing will only do some good for a limited time, though it should also bring down phosphates as well. Long term the question is are you getting accurate test results, and if so, where are the nitrates coming from?
    It could be that the new skimmer will do the trick, eventually. If you are getting a decent amount of skimmate, and do water changes???

mdbostwick likes this.
  12. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

I think I'm going to let this skimmer do it's thing, hit another WC and see where I'm at. I just want to implement some sort of nitrate export other than WC's. I have a strong feeling the high nitrates were from running the bio pellets I mentioned with a failing skimmer. If I had room for a fuge I would be set.