Any vodka dosing guru's in here?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by NittyGritty, Oct 10, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

What can you do to reduce the risk of a bacteria bloom?

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

4. hart24601

hart24601 Flamingo Tongue

There are quite a few guides out there. Carbon dosing is pretty routine now, I love it personally, but I was too inconsistent with manual dosing so I got a brs drews doser on a timer. Been going strong for well over a year now. I have low nutrients now, but still dose a bit as the filter feeders seem to love it.

5. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

I tried pellets for years. It always failed because I couldn't keep the tumble consistent. Liquid carbon dosing is actually more controllable and I prefer it.

I would use one of the complex carbon sources on the market rather than vodka because while it's fairly easy to control, vodka does tend to cause some red slime.

When I was dosing, I was using white spirit vinegar. For your tank I'd go about 10ml a day and go up 5ml a week until your numbers come down noticeably then lower the dose and maintain it. I think the expensive stuff is probably a better bet, but if you want to try the cheap stuff, that's the one I'd try.

Once the carbon dosing started working again, I actually felt a bit stupid for making my life such a pain without it.

6. Servillius

Oh, using an auto doser is definitely the way to go. Try to spread the dose out over several applications a day if you can.

7. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

Did you use a beneficial bacterial to battle the bad bacterial like Microbactor7 or just straight Carbon dosing?

8. Click Here!

9. Servillius

I've done it both ways. I think I'm for dosing some bacteria to keep up diversity, but no evidence its critical.

10. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

How about vodka vs vinegar?

11. Servillius

I prefer vinegar, but I prefer the complex carbon sources being formulated by manufacturers even more. Truth is though, they all work.

12. hart24601

hart24601 Flamingo Tongue

I use vodka, I like that I don't have to dose as much, it's super cheap, and have never had any side effects like slime, so I have not had a reason to change.