Any ideas ?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by jborlace, May 4, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jborlace

jborlace Purple Spiny Lobster

A few of my zoas have started not opening up very good. Nothing's changed into tank but I have been dosing Nualgi to try and help out with some hair algae I'm having. Amm, Nitrite and Nitrates are all 0. Calcium is 480. Alk is around 10 to 10.5. Mag is way high. Higher than my test can read at 1600. It's always been like this though. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. jborlace

It's only three or four of my ZOA frags that are doing this. Some zoas are fine. Everything else is doing great. Frogspawn recently split to four heads. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Zoas can be that way. I would try getting your Mg and alk down. Check your SG, too.

5. jborlace

How can I lower the Mg and Alk ? My SG is 1.025 with instant ocean.

6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Water changes and no dosing.

7. jborlace

I've never dosed anything. Don't even know how. Lol. I do a 4 gallon water change every week at an SG of 1.025 with instant ocean. Can't understand why my params are so high with this salt.

8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Wow, that's crazy. Make a batch of water and let it sit for a day then test it. How big is your tank? Are you running any reactors?

10. jborlace

40 gallon breeder. No reactors running. Two powerheads and a reef octopus HOB skimmer. That's it. I used to use Red Sea coral pro so I could see why my params stayed high. But I've been on the Instant ocean from day one in the 40 breeder.

11. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

That's where the problem lies, coral pro salt. I used it for awhile and realized my params were off due the salt. Very unbalanced salt and I'm glad I switched back to RC. I would do 10 gallon water changes once a week to bring it down so it doesn't change things to fast.

12. jborlace

I stopped using coral pro salt months ago. It's all Instant Ocean in the tank now.