Any good lfs in palm beach?

Discussion in 'South Florida Reef Society' started by jdameli1, Oct 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Well you know how it is in Florida. You need a license to sell them here so if fish and wildlife show up in there store and they have no invoice on a fish technically they could get fined or worse. In your case you bought him there so it was nice of Big Al.;D

2. Click Here!

3. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

But will they just take him If I were to donate him?

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Yes. But I would still call them first to make sure.8)

5. Sharkbate

Sharkbate Coral Banded Shrimp

The Barrier Reef in Boca is by far the best. I also use Tanks A Lot in Lake Worth on 13th Ave. They are avg in customer service but have excellent quality. Their modest tanks are always extremely clean... A well kept store.

6. Silly Reefer

Silly Reefer Plankton

You guys can try
    The Frag Farmer
    They have lots of coral. Some Fish but no dry goods really. As far as coral goes there isnt a store in the state that can touch them on price and quality really.

6453 West Rogers Circle C-5
    Boca Raton Florida 33487
    954-864-8051 Russ (owner)
    I know they were doing appointment only for a bit but may be open full time now.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2010
  7. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

oceans below is worth the drive

8. Click Here!

9. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

Where is it?

10. novahobbies

novahobbies Astrea Snail

Another recommendation for Barrier Reef in Boca. Good store...there's a guy named Robin who is very helpful there, too. A little high-energy, but very helpful.
    The thing with Barrier is that you sometimes have to wait your turn. There are a lot of people coming in and out of that place. If nobody's helping you, just grab one of the employees and ask if they will help you when they're done with the customer they're working on. Pretty much everybody there has an excellent attitude.

Another place you could try is Exotic Aquatic in Ft Lauderdale. It's not too far down the road. The owner Rob is very helpful, but be careful....some of the employees like to use the words "reef-safe" entirely to often. As with anything, be aware of what you're buying before you buy it. The tanks are clean, the fish always look in good shape, and I've always been happy with the purchases there.

IMO Fish Emporium / Big Al's is the "Wal-Mart" of LFSs. I've never seen a coral there that looked good that wasn't overpriced. Their discount corals are always on death's doorstep. I've seen nice fish in there as well as ich-covered buggers that are dead, but just don't know it yet. I just don't have anything particularly nice to say about their livestock section. The dry good section, on the other hand, is very well done. Decent prices, plus they have just about everything you can imagine all under one roof. I go there from time to time for test kit replacements, filter media, etc....but never for their fish.
    One last place you can check out is in Oakland Park, a place called "The Reef Zone." It's pretty new, and I've only been down there a couple times, but the staff has always been very helpful and truly knowledgeable when I talk to them. Only downside seems to be their stock.....not a whole lot of unique animals there, just the standard LFS bread and butter fishes.

11. Dr. Reefenstein

Dr. Reefenstein Fire Shrimp

If you ever want to take a trip and are looking for some nice coral try Coral Kingdom in pembroke pines.... They always have some nice chalice's and I have gotten some nice ORA corals there for good prices...