Any coral that can be kept without any kind of light?

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by leighton1245, May 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

I've read people using a cut off top of a 2 liter soda bottle with the lid off and current slots cut in it and squirting them in the top. I think there is even a youtube or two on it.

2. Click Here!

3. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

I've found Dendros and Sun corals extremely easy to care for. Especially the Dendro. Sun corals can be a little finicky about when they open for feeding, but the Dendro is open almost all day. It's super sticky and eagerly grabs anything near it.

If you don't have the time or patience to spot feed every day (or nearly) they may not be for you.

Come to think of it, the biggest issue that I've had with all of them is starting out with healthy specimens. Often times, they have not been fed properly and are not in good shape to begin with. A healthy specimen is IME easy to take home and care for, provided you take the time.

4. barbianj

That is a good way to do it. Mine are big enough that I don't have to be real careful about getting each and every head with the feeding tube. I just squirt it in the general direction and they catch the majority of it.

5. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

Sweet thank you everyone for the info i have sun coral that I feed every other day.

6. barbianj

If that one is doing good, then try a Dendro. ;)

[​IMG]

7. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

Will do that thing is wicked looking lol

8. Click Here!

9. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

yeah the thing is you cant get lazy and slack on feeding. also if you miss one polyp during feeding time it will die. they are individual

10. barbianj

That is absolutely NOT true. :angry:

Thanks. If you are having success with your Sun coral, you will do fine with a Dendro. It's often underestimated how much these corals can eat, so feed them well. I feed mine nearly every day, and sometimes skip a couple of days. It would be difficult for a head to NOT get some food. The tentacles are very sticky, like an anemone.

Here's the deal with Sun corals and Dendro's, like I mentioned above, they may not be in good shape when you get them. Now that I know better, mine weren't in the best shape to begin with. Just check out how the flesh was receded in the earlier shots. Don't buy them like that, unless you get a smokin' deal and you're up for a challenge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Video

[​IMG]

11. carpetmonster

carpetmonster Plankton

dendros look amazing, im tempted by one of those myself now.

I have been bowl feedign my sun and its got used to the feeding routine now, also means I can double up with a small water change every other day.

12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

To be honest, the vast majority of them that I've received (from multiple wholesalers) are in horrible shape. I would typically have to feed them for a couple of weeks before I felt they were healthy enough for sale. I was feeding them 4 or 5 times per day.