Any Apex setup/VDM tips?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Biocube, Mar 31, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

thanks, and i agree the reeftronics is awesome, it texts you if it can't contact your controller for an hour. ( i have got the text from them when power went out) after the hour of it trying to contact you it will send you a text and email. if you don't have a battery back up, knowing you will get a text after reeftronics can't sign into your controller is a nice piece of mind that all is still running well. since without a battery back up your controller can't contact you and tell you its lost power. you get the message when the power comes back on.

i didn't know neptune had its own app for iPhone, is it new? i use the aqua notes, don't plan on switching, aqua notes works well

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Yeah, came out in November I think. But it's acting weird. And it is exactly the same as aquanotes anyhow. I wonder if the aquanotes app will continue to get updates or not though.

4. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Do you have a dns server set up? It is as simple as setting up a free dns host such as dyndns.org. Make a website name, such as myapex.dyndns-home.com. When you want to access the apex off the network, have aquanotes set to myapex.dyndns-home.com:(port #)

I am at work right now and have helped a few people with this via emails. Post the issues you are having and I'll send you a PM with what to do.

Also, to the OP, post a list of what you are having trouble with and hopefully I'll be able to make a descriptive post for each point of interest.

5. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Haven't got it yet. I want to know as much as possible when I setup the unit.

6. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

So I read all 148 pages of the user manual posted above. Must say that's pretty impressive! I'm looking forward to setting everything up and posting my experiences.

On top of reading I made my SSL free email account using GMX and found a free domain service to host my Apex unit.

Thanks again everyone for their help.

7. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Apex will be here Wed afternoon. I got my Airport Express setup in minuets.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Awesome!! It is exciting to finally open the boxes and play with new toys.

And yes... normal ethernet cables will work just fine. You just have to cut off one end of the cable or make a breakout box. Personally, I cut mine.

As for cloud and storm simulation... It is very possible. It just depends on your skill with the programming. The use of profiles is the key to making it work.

10. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Ive got the Apex Lite as well and Id like to go with the VDM soon. So here is the question: which DNS did you use? Was the setup relatively easy? I cant justify the service fee just for the accessibility.

11. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

I use DYNDNS. The free version works perfectly for me. Was fairly easy to setup.

12. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

My friend hosts his own servers so I piggy backed off him. :)