Antler Coral

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by IanScot, Jul 7, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Ive done my own research, thats why I dont want a hippo/regal tang.

2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

That grate big aquarium in the sky
    :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :hehe: :hehe: :laugh5: :laugh5: :laugh3: :laugh3: You crack me up

4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

when they get around 6"s they go to waynes 1200g

5. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

I herd a good saying recently and I think it had you in mind.

"It is better to just sit there and look foolish than to open your mouth and confirm it" ;)

6. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

But you think you can keep an Achilles tang :-/

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Fletch and Geekdafied I find your squabbling amusing but unhelpful to the questions in this thread. I'm sure you both do great jobs at keeping your tangs healthy and happy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2007
  8. Click Here!

9. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

I do agree Jason,

This is from the link I posted on the previous page

In the Wild

The common name 'Pacific Blue tang' hopefully indicates to you which ocean this fish originates from, however, the Pacific Ocean is a rather large body of water. If you truly wanted to view this fish in its wild habitat you would find yourself most likely in Palau, Bali, or the Philippines, but you could likely find it anywhere from East Africa to the Great Barrier Reef, and into Southern Japan. In its native waters Paracanthurus hepatus can be found as shallow as 10 feet and as deep as 130 feet, though they are most common somewhere in the middle of those two depths. They tend to congregate where there are abundant food supplies, crystal clear water, and an aggressive current. They will be found at these depths foraging on zooplankton over outer reef slopes.

Juveniles tend to stay closer to cover, usually found three to ten feet over the reef. The juveniles will associate with Pocillopora eydouxi ***and use this coral for shelter by diving into the branches and wedging themselves tight into the coral. On occasion they may also use various Acropora for this purpose. Adults, however, can be located up to 30 feet or more above the reef feeding and usually do not fit well into corals, and thus they primarily use larger crevices in the reef structure to wedge into and hide themselves.

***Pocillopora eydouxi ( Antler coral )

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Ah, well that makes the original question make much more sense. I had no idea! Thanks for doing the research Fletch!