Anthias establishing dominance! *video*

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Toallhisdoom, Aug 19, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

Added 3 new lyretail anthias to my 75 gallon reef tank. The tank already had 1 established female. 1 of the 3 i added had started to change to a male at the fish store before i bought them, so the established female has started to fight with him for dominance!

Lyretail Anthias Fight!

please watch and like! :)

I turned my lights off in the tank so hopefully they will relax a little.

UPDATE: All fish are fine this morning with the 3 new guys hiding out up behind overflow. All came out to eat when i fed the tank. No one is hurt or has any signs of damage. The "male" lost a lot of his color i believe this is because he lost "dominance" and is going to revert back to a female, while the original female is going to change to a male.

Also added some selcon to the food to help with any stress the tank may have sustained from the 3 new additions.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. PierceEye

PierceEye Aiptasia Anemone

4. Toallhisdoom

aggressive kissing lol

5. Toallhisdoom

all 3 of the new guys are now in hiding. what a bully the original one was!

6. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

I liked it, mostly cus I love Anthias, surely my most favorite spieces of saltwater fish with the gobies a close 2nd favorite.

7. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I had my anthias fight like that and one "broke" the mouth of the other. They could never close their mouth properly again and eventually died.

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I don't find this funny at all. Am I missing something here?:(

10. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Mine's mouth was stuck open so that she would swoop through the food trying so hard to eat. She just got skinnier and skinnier. They were sold to me as a trio, I thought I was safe. I was horrified when I saw them actually mouth locking. I wish I had of separated them then. All my other anthias bumped each other and what not and eventually established rank. Mouth locking has never ended well over time, IME.

11. Pepperyfox

Pepperyfox Skunk Shrimp

:( I hope nobody gets hurt.

12. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone

+1. I turned it off.
    I thought about bear baiting, cock fighting, pit bull fighting.

I know not anywhere near what that is, but still almost always leads to disfiguration or death of one of the parties, pet shops should be held more accountable for what they peddle, I don't blame the buyer, we all go in the shop with our wallets screaming to be emptied, and fall in love with "something wonderful" 9 times out of 10 we ask the right questions and are given the "right" answers, we buy and they die..

Com on local pet shops, do the honorable thing and gain a customer not just a sale.