Anpgp's 40B w/20 sump build thread *Pic update 10/6*

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by anpgp, Aug 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Alright, here we go, my very first full on build thread with a tank that I purchased during the $1/gallon sale. The details are it will be a 40B with a 20 sump, Bean overflow system with a coast to coast overflow, Mag 7 return, and a DIY LED setup from Rapid LED. This will be an upgrade from my BC 29. The stand was built by my dad and I out of 2x4s and covered with pine. This stand is rock solid and is not going anywhere.

[​IMG]

The stand still needs a set of doors, a floor, and the shelf installed. All of the wood is cut, just needs to be screwed in. There is room enough on the bottom shelf for the sump and a ATO bucket.

[​IMG]

As you can see, all of the 2x4's are secured together with brackets and there is also wood glue at every location. The one thing I really like about this stand is that I made the side panels out of two 1x10's that were biscuited together and then turned into one big door. Closed, you can't even tell that they are in fact doors and will make everything a lot easier to get to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rock will be coming from reefcleaners and the sand from macro rocks. This is my new job treat to myself and if all goes to plan, should be up and running in about a month. The return pump and bulkheads should be coming in tomorrow as well as the black acrylic I ordered for the coast to coast overflow. Once that is all in, I plan on taking the tank to a local glass shop to get drilled. The only downside is they won't replace the tank if they break it. So hopefully they can get all 4 holes drilled with no problems. As far as a skimmer goes, I was planning on a Reef Octopus 110. Updates will follow as I get things done.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Bean Animal FTW!
    Anyways Ill be following!

4. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Today's update: package came with all of the bulkheads, Mag pump, and my black plexi for the overflow. I also went to a glass shop and had the holes drilled. Let me tell you what, that was a nerve racking trip. I've never had any tanks drilled and the glass shop didn't insure the tank either. The first two holes went perfectly but you can see on the one of the largest holes, the drill slipped on the guy and there is a small scratch. The bulkhead is wide enough that it gets covered completely and isn't noticeable. In the end, I got a great deal and they only charged me $5 per hole.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Sweet. Looking forward to the Bean Animal. Great job.

6. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Alright, big purchase day today. Placed the order for the heatsink, a 7.25"x30" from heatsinkusa.com, the LED kit, 36 dimable kit, from Rapid LED, and cooling fan, heater, and mounting brackets from Dr. F&S. I also ordered a 10 gal stand from them as well but that's just bc I needed a nicer one for my frag tank.

7. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Well everything that I ordered has come in and I have the coast to coast overflow installed and some work done on the LEDs. I'll post some more pics as soon as I can.

8. Click Here!

9. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Cool, Look forward to it.

10. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

It's been more than an hour already.. still waiting for the pics..:p

11. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Sorry for the delay guys, got too busy and into the wiring up of the LEDs. I have them all glued down and wired together. They aren't connected to drivers yet as I'm waiting for the controller to come in. I have the dimmable drivers and forgot to get the controller for them from Rapid LED when I placed the original order so it should be in this coming week. I also have 4 moonlights in the setup as well. As for the tank, the back is painted black, overflow is in, return line is plumbed, have just a little touch up painting to do on that, drain lines are measured and cut but not painted or glued together, and the stand has been sanded and is ready for stain. Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Great looking work