Another zoanthid problem...

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by offensetaken, Nov 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I don't buy anything from there for this very reason. They are well established for selling everything with extra zoa nudis. Try Reef Culture or Aquatouch for LFS that sell "clean" zoas, otherwise local reefers around town have a lot of rare morphs consistently available.

2. Click Here!

3. offensetaken

offensetaken Montipora Digitata

Thanks Evolved. I've only been in PHX for a few months now so that's good to know.

Do nudis only effect one polyp at a time though? And would it take 4 or 5 weeks before the nudi started to eating away?

4. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Maybe zoa/paly eating amphipods as well. i wa reading an article on a blog about how he had three and only ate one type of zoa in his tank.

5. offensetaken

Thanks for the suggestion! I have another small colony of the same kind as the one infected and the 2nd colony is ok.

6. offensetaken

Any other ideas fellow 3reefers??

Should I cut off the infected polyp and do a dip with Coral RX??

7. offensetaken

No other suggestions?

I'm gonna cut of the infected polyp tonight and do a dip. I'll post the results and if I notice any pests when I do the dip.

8. Click Here!

9. Mainstream Aqua

Mainstream Aqua 3reef Sponsor

I wish I would have replied to this earlier. Yes, use coral rx for dips and leave to paly on the rock untouched. Sometimes they will come off the rock in the dip if the zoa is damaged. If it does, I would toss the paly.

10. offensetaken

Well I never dipped this zoa colony. It has been almost a week now and all seems to be well. I lost 2 polyps. As I though about it a little more, this colony was glued onto a piece of LR just before this happend. I thought it may have been due to the super glue gel that I used. Maybe I got a bit of glue on those 2 polyps and they didn't agree with it and melted away. Whay do you all think? Possible?