Another Taotronics light review.. The Good and Bad

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by jaymostella, May 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jaymostella

jaymostella Skunk Shrimp

I understand and respect your statements. However, how does someone new, like myself, go by the look of the corals? What exactly should I look for and how would I know to make immediate adjustments or allow a little time for acclimation?

2. Click Here!

3. jaymostella

jaymostella Skunk Shrimp

Plus, if I do see differences how do I tell if they need more light or getting too much. Generically speaking, the way I understand it is if the corals start losing color to white then it's to bright and to dark or brown it not enough light. Is that correct and is there a better way of telling?

Thanks

4. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

That's about it. It can be hard to tell if you look at the tank every day, though. Some LPS may close up towards the end of the day. I take pictures and compare them over time.

5. jaymostella

jaymostella Skunk Shrimp

Here are some pics of when the lights are on during the day.. The white is on at ~60% and Blue at 90% in these

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. jaymostella

jaymostella Skunk Shrimp

7. jaymostella

jaymostella Skunk Shrimp

8. Click Here!

9. jaymostella

jaymostella Skunk Shrimp

10. barbianj

Very nice pictures. The colors look very good. Except for the clam, I don't see anything that requires more light than you have now, but that can change. I'm not saying don't get a third light. I thought about getting another in case I need one more in the future. How many cross braces does that tank have?

I would just keep an eye on the Lobo and the meat coral towards the end of the lighting cycle. Everything else should do fine.

11. jaymostella

jaymostella Skunk Shrimp

Thanks. A for the clam. Should I move to brighter area and the lobo on the end? I have 2 cross members can you tell by shadows? I worked hard on removing the shadows by light placement

12. barbianj

Oh, yeah, I had to zoom into a bigger picture to see the shadows. I'd move the Lobo and the clam for sure.