Another new tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Poppy828, Aug 3, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

Hey there Birdlady. How goes it? Thank you for the advice. Much appreciated. My wife said she would feel better with the glass top. If it causes more of a heat issue then the egg crate is definitely the way to go I'm sure. However, I think I may have this heat thing figured out. I installed a 6" fan under the tank stand with it blowing directly into the sump. It cooled the tank down 2 degrees last night. I also turned the heater off last night to make sure that was not causing any problems. I looked first thing this morning and the tank was at 76 for the first time since I set it up. That was a drop from 82 to 76 over a 6 hour period. I turned the heater back on and turned it down to what looked like 78 and turned the lights on this morning and had them on for 9 hours...the temp was back to 78/79. I purchased some of the legs for my light fixture and installed them tonight. We will see if that helps at all. It raised it about 2-2 1/2 inches. I am going to turn the heater down to 76 and see if that makes a difference. Maybe the heater is off a bit also. I have 2 thermometers in the tank to verify that the temp is as accurate as I can get it. Thanks again for all who have replied to my add and offered help. I appreciate all of it. The fish my wife picked out seem to be doing very well so far. So hopefully this is a sign I am doing this correctly. I sure hope I am. :p

Poppy

2. Click Here!

3. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

Morning all. Update on my progress. The temp is now a constant 77. I think everything I added as far as fan and legs did the trick. I still do not have a top on the tank so I am sure I am getting some evap cooling with that. as I have to add water everyday to the sump to keep the level up. Quick question on adding water...do I need to add salt in the new water? It's not a gallon or anything. More like 2 quarts of evap. I have been adding tap water and the salinity has not dropped that much. Just want to make sure I am doing this all correctly. I am currently at 1.025 for my salinity which I have been told is perfect for a reef. Again, thank you all for your help.

Poppy

4. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

Here are some pics of the tank...hope they work...

Attached Files:

5. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

more pics

Attached Files:

6. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

more

Attached Files:

7. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

again

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

Pretty boring so far I know...LOL..sorry...it will be better I promise.. ;D

Attached Files:

10. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

1 more

Attached Files:

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hey Poppy just add freshwater to replace evap. Salt doesn't evaporate.

Also, unless your doing it for a safety thing, I would shorten the hose from the Remora and put the pump right underneath it. That's what I did. Less pipe, more flow.

Also you can put your heater in your sump.

I like your rock, looks like you are on your way.

:)

12. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

Thank you Matt. I was wondering if I could put the heater in the sump or not. Was not sure if the fan blowing on the sump would affect it or not. I would like less clutter inside the tank though. I am actually considering going to a Titanium heater...the Pro-Heat II actually with the LCD readout is what I am looking at. Any advice on that?

As for the skimmer pump. I did it that way because I did not like the way it just hung there. Did not look good or safe to me. Probably was just as safe as I have it now. I just thought this was a bit safer. Plus it's in the corner where you won't see it eventually once the corals and stuff are added. That's the plan anyway...LOL

Thanks for the help Matt. Thank you for the compliment on the rock as well. I picked out what looked to be the best. You can't see it in the pics, but some of the rock have some nice reddish/purple colors on them. I hope it continues this way.

Poppy