Another new tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Poppy828, Aug 3, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

;DNo Problem!

Just make sure you check that the system won't overflow if there is a power failure...I just unplug the pump and see if the overflow stops draining water before the sump overflows. Easy to check and fix :D

2. Click Here!

3. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

I did check that last night and it is well within range. I have plenty of room left in the filter for overflow. Bad news is it looks like my return head sprung a leak over night. Has a tiny crack in it just above the hose. I can not get the hose above that line so I have siliconed it to see if it will fix it. We shall see. It was not a bad leak, but once you start a leak it will only get bigger as times goes on.

4. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

Just an update for everyone on the tank. I have checked all levels daily and everything seems to be well within range.

PH- 8.3
    Ammonia- 0.0
    Salinity- 1.025
    Calcium - 450
    Alkalinity- 9
    No Nitrates or Nitrites to be found.
    Water temp is a steady 82 during the day and 81 at night. I am using this temp range until I can figure a way to raise the lights and reduce the heat. At that point I will keep the tank at 80-81. I have asked a few shops and they have all said 82 is not bad. I would be safe to 83 even. I would feel more comfortable at the 80-81 though from what I have been reading.

Any input from you all is always welcomed and appreciated. Thank you to all who have guided me in the correct direction for this new adventure.

I did add 3 Cromies (sp) and a Clarkie this evening. I floated the bag for 20 minutes and added a small amount of my tank water to the bag every 2-3 minutes for 15. Hope that was correct. The fish seem to have taken well to the tank thus far. We shall see what the morning holds. Any feedback on a way to raise these lights on a 46G bow and keep the kitties out of the tank would be very helpful. My wife and I are concerned about leaving the top off (which we have had off for 2 days now) and just leaving the lights on top. The kitties will be curious now with fish in the tank and we do not want them jumping on the tank and knocking the lights in and shocking the tank and themselves. Thank you all again.

Todd

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

6. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

Thank you Matt for the insight on that. I am learning who carries what I need thanks to this sight and individuals like yourself. I ordered the legs and the power center for the ease of light timers. Thank you again for the help on that Matt. It is appreciated very much.

Todd

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

8. Click Here!

9. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

I was reading your list of parts for your tank Matt. Is the Spectra RO filter or any RO filter for that matter a necessity? I have been using regular tap water to help replenish what has evaporated. I have not seen any changes in the water with the exception of the salinity level being a tad lower after that???

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Depends on your tap water. Craig has tap that tested at 35 - 50 for T.D.S. (total dissolved solids)  - that's good. I think inwall mentioned phosphates recently too. Something else to look for.

I look at it as prevention. Plus my tap TDS is over 100. With my R.O., I only have to scape the glass once every 2 weeks. That's on a 20 gallon (actually 15 gallons of water minus rocks, etc..)  with a 150 watt halide. I don't think I'd have that luxury with tap water. Plenty more info if you do a search.. get a TDS meter if you don't have one and use some freshwater test kits..

11. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

Thank you. I will look into this in the a.m. I'm beat and going to bed. Thanks for the advice and help Matt.

T

12. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hi Poppy! You could cover the tank with "eggcrate"
    It's the open type of lighting cover commonly used in drop ceiling type flourescent lights. It is easy to cut to fit the top of the tank....and is nice and rigid. It looks like an open grid of approx. 1 cm squares.... ;D You can get it at home depot for a few bucks for a 4 x 6 foot or so. Glad you are coming along with the tank ;D