Another new tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Poppy828, Aug 3, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Are you planning a Fish Only tank or a reef tank?

Do you have any Live Rock? I would pass on the Friday date untill you have determined if you will be using Live Rock (LR)

That takes a few weeks to mature in the tank. It provides the main filtration for many types of salt water aquaria. What are you planning? :D

2. Click Here!

3. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

I was considering just doing a fish only tank right now. This is my first attempt at a saltwater tank. I am not sure adding Live Rock right now is my best option being new. I may be wrong in that thinking. I do want the tank to look as natural as can be. I guess the only way to do that is with Live rock and see flowers though huh? Maybe I should invest now in the live rock? Not really sure what approach to take. You have me thinking now. Any advice on Live rock preparation???

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Well, the LR provides a major part of the nitrogen cycle. You can buy it "cured" and "uncured" which simply is the difference between the living things that didn't make the trip being already removed for you (more expensive, cured in dealers tanks) or having to do it yourself (less expensive, but potenially smelly job) You DO NOT want to add uncured LR to a tank with fish in it already. You would cure it in a separate container with a powerhead for a few weeks...but if you are gonna do it, why not do it now before you add animals ;) Plus, it does look nicer, more natural.

Did you read the "3 Steps to a Reef Aquarium" on the startup page here? That pretty much covers alot of the basics.

Do you have a protien skimmer? For Fish only , I am not sure that you need it but....with LR, it will make a big improvement!

I am by far, not the most experienced here.....anyone else wanna chime in??

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Also, a good newer book for the marine aquarium is

The New Marine Aquarium
    A step by step setup & stocking guide
    by Mike Paletta

It discussed virtues of LR and such...and is less than $20

6. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

Well thank you again for the advice and help. I will purchase the book you referenced so that I can better educate myself on this. I have read a ton on the net and have purchased a few books as well. My wife stated that she would like the tank to look like a reef in the ocean. I guess that answers the question of whether or not to add Live Rock huh....LOL Thank you again. I will contact my pet store and find out what they have for LR and go from there. Thanks a bunch Birdlady.

Todd

7. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

To answer the question of the protein skimmer...I do not have one currently as this was initially going to be a fish only tank and was not needed. Any advice on the best skimmer available? I want to do this and do it correctly so I value your opinion on this subject as I am new and looking for the veterans to help me out. Thank you again.

Todd

8. Click Here!

9. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Birdlady, you are doing such a good job we are just watching you work. BTW welcome to 3Reef, Poppy  [smiley=drummer.gif].

If you go FOWLR (fish only with live rock) the live rock is a major part of the filtration process. The tank has more places for the fish to hide and will allow them to interact with other critters that you can eventually add.

There are certain symbiotic relationships between reef aquarium critters and fish that you will not see in other environments, like shrimp grooming certain fish that will allow it. Also seeing certain fish using anemone as their home. ;D

The fish only tank is an easier way to start, and I could be wrong, but I think it is harder to switch into a reef aquarium than it is to add fish to a reef aquarium environment.

Birdlady is exactly correct, with a Fish Only tank you can pretty much use conventional filtration. With a Reef aquarium it is probably best to utilize a skimmer.

The Reef tank takes longer to establish and is more time consuming, however the benefits definitely outweigh the time spent!!! 8)

As far as the Skimmer, I personally feel that with the size of your tank the Aqua-C Remora is your best investment. CaptiveReef will give you a 6% discount on the Remora for being a member of 3Reef. These skimmers are the Plug and Play skimmers of the industry and you can't go wrong.

Drew

10. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Yeah, well I was startin to sweat there. I was getting to the end of what I felt comfortable advising on! ;D ;D

BTW Poppy, Karma to you for a good start!!!

11. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

Thank you dx7 for your thoughts. It's nice to be able to join a forum and get answers to questions from people in the know. So often you have people advising with little to no knowledge at all. I think I have found individuals that are in the know and I can trust the advice given. I called my pet shop and they are putting together some numbers and materials of what I will need to make this a nice reef tank. Thank you for opening my eyes to that Birdlady. Thank you also for the Karma. I will fill you all in on what they put together for me. Thanks a bunch.

Todd

12. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

Evening all. Just wanted to update the thread on the new additions to my tank.
    70lbs Figi Live Rock (already cured)
    Lunar Aqualight 10,000k with the Moon led's
    Remora Pro skimmer
    40lbs Live Sand
    The live rock was from a 1 month old tank. Had nice colors when I picked them out and some nice algae growth from what little I know so far. I removed the 30 lbs of crushed coral. I am picking up my glass top tomorrow so I can add light to what I hope to be a beautiful reef tank. Thanks again for the suggestion to do a reef tank Birdlady. I think my wife and I will be much happier with this setup rather than a fish only tank. Thank you.

Todd