Another new tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Poppy828, Aug 3, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Thanks for explaining your due diligence Todd. We tend not to assume anything on the part of the member in an abundance of caution and so not to miss anything. Certainly not fool proof but well intentioned I assure you!

2. Click Here!

3. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

I completely understand Craig. I appreciate your feedback and everyone for that matter. I am new and am sure I will make some mistakes. I am here to learn and pick the brains of those who know how to help. I have found a great place for this within this little home of reef-keepers-3REEF.COM. ;)

4. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Todd,

I think from what you have written you could be at the stage where you can stop twice daily checks on Ammonia and Nitrite :) It will take something like a dying fish or dropping a whole tub of fish food into your tank to cause a spike at this stage.

Just check your Nitrates occassionally but concentrate on the Alk and Calc levels to try to get some stability in your tank. And above all sit back and watch stuff :)

John

5. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

I was told that today actually....LOL Twice a day is not needed anymore....I guess I am anal about making this the best it can be.

I think some stability in the CA and ALK are key as well from what I have read. I am using the Seachem Multitest products...fill vial to this mark, add this many drops...etc. If there is a better product that is more accurate, less involved, please fill me in. The sliding window thing is a bit confusing sometimes...not able to exactly match color to slide...could be my old tired eyes also from checking the strips 24-7. A refractometer wa suggested to me for testing...advice on that? Heck, any advice on the best easy to use testing supplies is helpful.

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Todd :)

Listen mate, don't feel lonely LOL We have all gone through the ' anxious ' stage LOL

Your Seachem kit was probably suitable to begin with as in reality all you need to know is whether there is any Ammonia, Nitrite or Nitrate in the water at all, the levels didn't matter.

IMHO I would not go past the Salifert test kists, but then again not all the different brand of kits are available to me over here.

A refractometer, ( I'm gonna get in trouble for this, I know ) yes, if you want to remain anal LOL

John

7. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

I will look into the Salifert test kits John.

As far as staying "ANAL" ;D I was told that a refractometer was the best and only option for a true REEF KEEPER. Tis the reason for considering it. I have learned not to believe everything you have been told though. There seems to be many many different theory's on how to keep and maintain a reef tank. I Think I have been given the best and most sound advice through this forum thus far. I will continue to listen to this site and individuals such as yourself John.

Again I thank you for your time.

P.S. Who carries the Salifert test kits?

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Todd - My leather frag took a week or two to acclimate to my tank. They can be moody. Sometimes they take a couple days off and shed their skin too.

How are the fish? What are you feeding them?

10. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Todd,

Nothing wrong with getting a refractometer if that's what you want to spend your money on. They are the most accurate way of measuring Salinity, well at least they are if calibrated correctly.

Or you could just use a swing arm one like I have. It gets calibrated when I wash it :)

John

11. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

Thank you Matt. It seems to be taking this direction with the new corals. We shall see.

The fish are doing well. All have great color, no spots, no cloudiness in the eyes, just like you would expect them to be...perfect. I am feeding them flake food currently wit Brine shrimp every 3 days. I have also included a stalk of Broccoli for the Tang. I plan to leave that in for 3 days and then discard it and replace with a new piece or rotate between that and romaine lettuce.

Seem like a good feeding habit/meal?

12. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

I am using a deep six right now and it seems to work for me...mine also is calibrated at each wash...LOL

Thank you for the Karma by the way...I am still learning how to give Karma so yours is on the way...direct me how to do it if you wish.

Thank you.

T