Another glue ?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by ScooterGuitar, Dec 6, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ScooterGuitar

ScooterGuitar Astrea Snail

I will use aqua sealant silicone for a baffle to glass, but will this work for a small baffle, so I don't ahve to buy another adhesive? Small baffle that will attach to a larger acrylic baffle and back edge and bottome dge will be on glass. See what I mean, I only need to glue one edge acrylic to acrylic.

2. Click Here!

3. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

Silicone is a poor adhesive for Acrylic. I can't visualize what you are talking about but if you as siliconing the acrylic to the glass also you may be alright. If you need a sealed water tight joint than you need arylic glue. I forgot what it is called at the moment. The glue actually welds the 2 pieces together.

4. jnbahwkins

jnbahwkins Fire Worm

Message me if you figure out the name of the glue that bonds acrylic

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Acrylic glue isn't really a glue at all. It comes in a gell and liquid form. The gell is usually in a tube and the liguid is applied with a hypodermic type needle bottle. IPS Corp. manufactures "WELD-ON #3 Liquid" to be used with hypo needle applicator. It bonds instantly and cures in 3-4 hours. If you prefer a slower method to get the edges square or lined up use "WELD-ON #16 Thickened Cement" It bonds/sets in about 5-10 minutes at 70 degrees F and cures in 24 hours. This is for someone without the tools or know how to build a template box for constructing an all acrylic refugium/aquarium/sump/retro-box/etc... Any glass shop (other than auto only glass) will carry these products for under $5.
    Hope that helps. I have seen the products at Lowes and Home Depot but they weren't WELD-ON and all the glass /plastic dealers use only WELD-ON in my area.
    Good luck!

6. Guest

Guest Guest

BTW...... WELD-ON is only for Acrylic. It chemically bonds the acrylic together and will do nothing to glass other than possibly cloud it up. Use high grade silicone (#4 or "super silicone") for Acrylic to glass applications. An equal size bead of silicone to the thickness of the plastic/glass you are using is the proper amount.
    Happy reefing! or reefering !

7. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

I use crazy glue gel.... FOR EVERYTHING ;D