another clown with white film #3 of 4 ARGH!

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by serotonin, Jul 10, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

ive been doing 10-30 gal changes weekly already.

I could be wrong, but I don't understand how it could be fungus. I don't neglect water changes and my water paramaters are good. I took some water to the LFS over lunch

0ppm ammonia
    0ppm nitrite
    0ppm nitrate
    8.3pH

As I understand it fungi like to come about when there are less than desireable water conditions. I have a moderate flow throughout the enter display. A 36watt UV ligh runs 24/7 on the system also. Not trying to be argumentitive, but I simply don't understand.

Thanks again! :)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Here are 2 pictures of a clown with Brooklynella

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2006
    2 people like this.
  4. serotonin

That is exatcly what they look like but less intense (not as bad). The one in the QT has some raw/redness on its tail fin also.

Thank you!

5. serotonin

Malachite green and formalin with high aeration is what I gather is a good way to treat this. Also my mt must remain fishless for 4 weeks to remove the brooklynella. I will QT both clowns in my 10 gal QT tank for the 4 weeks. As for the coral beauty, I only have a 72 gal tank that was mentioned previously. Id like to put the beaut in that tank, waht precautions should I take prior to adding it to that tank to reduce/eliminate risk of infecting this 72gal tank as well.

Thanks so much ;D

6. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Just so you know, The freshwater dip for 15-minutes recommendation was straight out of the book Clownfishes by Joyce D Wilkerson page 111 So it is up to you on how you treat your fish, I gave you my suggestion. John:-/

7. serotonin

Ive read that book twice, its absolutly wonderful, a real joy to read actually. I was unsure what the actual illness was so I had to decide what I thought it was and try to remedy the problem. Your picture clearly shows what my poor guys have, I thank you very much for posting that as it most likely will save their lives.

I read the chapter on clownfish diseases on saturday and just couldn't nail it down. Think we hit the nail on the head with the images though. You were right, thank you very much :)

I worry about what to do for the coral beauty now.

8. Click Here!

9. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

It will have to be put into QT also, Do you know somebody that will let you borrow a small tank for about 4 to 5 weeks.

10. serotonin

I have a 29 gal tank that has been dry for about 4 or 5 months. Shall I set that up tonight and toss the canister filter on it? Other than that, I only have a 10 gal which I'm sure we'd agree that is far too small for all 3 of them.

11. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Yes I would set up the 29 for your QT tank

12. serotonin

Day #2 so far, there all in QT and being treated with Formalin and Malachite Green (ICH CURE by Aquatrol, Inc.) The white film is all but gone at this point, appatites are raging and activity is high so I think things are on the up.[​IMG]

I wonder about the missing tail, will it regrow? I dont see the loss creeping up the the bone or anything like that. I hope the picture can do some justice that little bugger is fast.

Thanks again.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.