Another clown breeder

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by mikejrice, Jul 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cl2ysta1

cl2ysta1 Plankton

clown fry are extremely fragile and eat rotifers (these will not be found in your tank) they will need to be moved from your display to a smaller ten gallon tank. purchase the book "clownfish" by joyce wilkerson.

2. Click Here!

3. carl292wild

carl292wild Plankton

i read the blogs you have posted and yes hermit crabs will eat anything that it can fit in it's mouth even baby fry. I am also trying to breed my mating pair of clowns (black and white ocellaris) and having no joy any pointers???

4. carl292wild

carl292wild Plankton

i read the blogs and yes the hermit crab will anything it can fit in its mouth and are escape artists, I am also trying to breed my black and white ocellaris clownfish but no joy as of yet any pointers from anyone????

1 person likes this.
  5. JayTropical

JayTropical Purple Spiny Lobster

i see you have a somewhat similar situation as my thread, i actually noticed this same burrowing behavior. when i get up for work early in the morning (still very dark) i will slowly dimm up my bar lighting to find them nuzzled up between the glass and a rock burrowed in the sand. the more established clown Never burrowed until now. i would always find him at the top of the tank tail-fin up wobbling back and forth slowly

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  6. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Sounds like you may have a good pair than. Have you seen either of them twitching in front of the other?

7. JayTropical

JayTropical Purple Spiny Lobster

i did catch the smaller one twitch a couple of times infront of the newer one at the very beginning, but i have not seen them do it in the past week or so. they have been together two weeks.

8. Click Here!

9. kookie_guy

kookie_guy Spaghetti Worm

The twitching action is the male's way of saying, "ok, I understand, you are the boss." lol. This is typical when they first meet. Once the dominance was established, mine hardly ever twitches anymore. But this is a great sign that they are starting to get along.

Mine are now laying eggs every 3 weeks on a regular basis. The female is getting ready to lay another batch right now. Good tell take sign that they are looking to lay eggs is that you'll see them going crazy on a spot of rock, biting at it and cleaning it. You'll also notice a very small clean funnel poking out of the female's belly where the eggs will be coming out of. Once you see them cleaning the rock/area they they going to lay, within a day or 2 you'll have eggs.

1 person likes this.