Another bio-ball question.

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by mirandacollc, Nov 23, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Well.......you don't have to get sick over it!

2. Click Here!

3. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

Huh?

4. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

That was for jwin (the puking pumkin).

5. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

Oh I dident catch it my bad.

6. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

Luna I found out the ph drob we have had with the felt. The felt actually filters out the oxygen that happens before the felt. so it causes a drop in ph. Not dangerous but brings it down slightly. I put my powerhead toward the top of the water to place makes the differance and I found out today with testing that in 4 hrs my ph moved back to 8.3 from 8.0 just by this. give it a try.

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

So what your saying is to place a PH facing the surface of the water in the main tank and my ph will/should go higher? Please confirm. Luna

8. Click Here!

9. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

Luna I spoke with the people at the lfs store about it and also a distributor for our pond division of the landscape co. The co I use for my pond division of landscape are very big into saltwater and all of the above told me the same thing. the felt being 50-100 microns captures some of the oxygen. I heard the same story from a few of them. the pad that is usually in the tray of our wet dry the foam pad is in the area of 500 microns. this in turn doesent catch the small stuff but gets that big stuff. the felt pad being 100 or 50 microns(smaller the number the more filtering) catches allot of stuff but can take out some of the oxygen also so it can produce a slightly lower ph. Now I did what they asked and I put a puwerhead to the surface in addidition to the other one I had to break more surface water and they said it would take 4-6 hrs to see a difference. I did after 5 hrs notice it went from 8.0 to 8.1-2. So yes I did see this to be an improvement. The guy I deal with is extreamly helpful at the lfs I deal with. He goes to all the seminars all over the country for salt water fish and reef keeping and if he doesent know the answer he askes the right people to find out. He has been allot of help as you have and some people here have been. So yes I can confirm with you that this is why it did that. It will not drop much but as in your and mine case it dropped slightly. Hope this helps luna and its a good feeling to pay it back fro all the help you have given me.

1 person likes this.
  10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Thanks for the reply. BTW, what ph did you use? How far down did you place the ph? At what angle did you point the ph thats pointed at the water's surface? Luna

11. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

We tested the ph at the house with a test kit and at the lfs with the ones they use. I then angled the korlia 4 at the surface. I have my returns from the sump going there i have a mag drive 18 and that pushed the sump water to the top then one of my korila 4s at the surface at about a 45 angle. I have 4 of the korlia 4s and 4 of the 3s so my water is moving. They tole me to break the water and put more oxygen into the tank if I want to use felt. They said its ok to use felt just break the water more. these guys are great and have told me allot of helpful tips. I think it makes a huge difference to have the felt but we know what we are faced with if we use it. I saw a huge difference with it and my water cleard a bunch.

12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

:eek:Jesus.....(4) Korlia 4's and (4) Korlia 3's Thats alot of ph inside your DT. Do you still have any room for corals and fish???? Luna