Another bio-ball question.

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by mirandacollc, Nov 23, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I recently went from 20ppm of No3(for yrs) to 0ppm. How? Not really sure, I did so many changes to my system, that I cant pin-point the main factor. For yrs I have favored bio balls(BB) to the point that I defended them to my grave. But one of the changes that was done was removing about 90% of the existing BB and leaving the rest.

I went from this sump, which was half of the 29g sump

[​IMG]

To this refug/sump. Notice the amout of BB I have now.
    [​IMG]

I dont know if it was the BB that was causing the 20ppm of No3 or not, all I know now is that I have a big fat zero(No3). As for taking them all out at once being a bad thing??? I did and didnt go through a cycle of any kind. Of course, my system is probably nothing like yours. My system just turned 10 yrs old, have about 100lbs of LR and no fish has been added for yrs(bio load). I think that you can get rid of all the BB at once but you need to have a good existing filration system in place, like enough LR or an established refugium. Which brings me to my next question, do you have a refugium? Luna

2. Click Here!

3. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

No I dont have one I keep hearing mixed thoughts on them. I have enough equipment to set one up. I also am not sure of exactally how much lr is in there I think I have enough but not to sure. I dont see any buildup on the bio balls in you pic you can see this stuff on mine. I will get some pics this week I need to get a new camera this week we broke ours at disney a few weeks ago. But ill shiw you what I mean. I really feel that is decayed algea from poor mechanical filteration.

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Do you have a filter pad of some kind before the water hits the BB's? If you notice on the first pic, theres a blue pad that sits right above the BB's on top of an eggcrate. Luna

5. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

There is but its a chinsey one. That was the reason I thought the yellow gunk on the balls was from that. It its like a 1/4 in filter pad it said when I replaces it. there is filteration to it and it seems that In therory it would filter the stuff but I know it was getting by. here is a picture of it

Aquaclear Aquatics Pro 300 Aquarium Filters

Also looks like some of your bio balls are in the water.

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I use a felt filter pad which filters the water like nobodys business. You would be surprised how clear your water becomes. Which is this;
    [​IMG]

Yes, some of my BB where under water and the other half where out. Luna

7. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

I use felt also but then I get no skimate from the skimmer or very very little over days. And the felt plugs up in a short ammount of time. I mean a few hrs. Also I am trying to figure out if I should have a sock like filter on my return. Thank for all your help luna.

8. Click Here!

9. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

I would also look into changing the bulbs. Most T5 bulbs are good for 4-6 months depending on usage and the bulb, but I've heard that older bulbs can be a cause for algae. Don't really know why, but I'd look into that.

10. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Correction; T5s are good for 12-18 mos. 4-6 would be for regular florescent bulbs.

11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Power compacts last up to 12 months also. Luna

12. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

whoopsies. I stand corrected :D