Angler not eating HELP!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by that fish guy, Oct 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. that fish guy

that fish guy Flamingo Tongue

Hello, I have a yellow wartskin angler in a 29 gallon biocube. I have had him for probably 4-5 months now. He has been eating silversides, mollies, and ghost shrimp( trying to keep the diet varied). As I was watching the tank a few days ago I noticed he was moving a lot more and actually swimming around, I became worried as this is not normal for him. I thought he was probably just stressed since i had just done a water change, so I tried to feed him a silverside to calm him down and he did not eat it. I thought once he calmed down a littled he would want to eat, so I waited a day and tried feeding again. Unfortunatley he still didnt eat :cry:, I am worried he might be sick and I don't want to lose him. Any ideas on why this could be happening? :-/

2. Click Here!

3. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

If he is swimming around a lot and is not eating, he probably has bloat. Not much you can do, and it will most likely die, sorry. Same happened to mine.

4. that fish guy

He swan around for about an hour and I havet seen him do it since that. He just moves around on the rocks a lot now.

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

You never want to feed freshwater fish to a saltwater fish. This can lead to a buid up of fat around the heart of the fish. Also check that your silver sides have not gone bad. I found that they would go bad long before I could use them all they have a limited shelf life.:(

6. that fish guy

The silversides are new that i feed, since I go through them fairly quickly as i also have a fuzzy dwarf lion and a baby banded eel. I feed mollies since they are brackish and fairly cheap but any other suggestions on what to feed?

7. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Yeah an abnormal burst of activity can be sign of bloat. Any swelling in the ventral area?

8. Click Here!

9. that fish guy

He looks completely normal, could he just be on a hunger strike? I have heard sometimes they do this.

10. that fish guy

Thank you guys for posting and helping. I feel foolish now as he just ate a silverside. I don't know if i am out of the woods yet, but i am very pleased that hw is finally eating. What do you guys think would be some good live foods that are healthy for him?

11. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

I would enrich it with some amino acids and vitamin c. How often are you feeding and doing waterchanges? Do you have a skimmer?

12. that fish guy

I am working on getting a skimmer right now probably will pick one up tomorrow. I do water changes every week since the angler has suck a big bio-load. I feed about once to twice a week. Usually 1-2 silversides is as much as he will eat unless it is live fish.