Angels and butterflies nipping

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by nanomania, Aug 29, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

Im plannin to keep flame angel, coral beauty, blue ring, emperor, cbb, longnose and false moorish. I know i cant keep all of them, but id like to select from these only.

Id like to make a list of corals / inverts they would nip at/eat, so u wouldnt add them in the tank. Need help.

Also how difficult are they to feed in qt. Cbb i know, but wont purchase if its not eating frozen at the lfs.

Tank will be 180g mixed reef.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

flame and coral beauty I believe is a no go... they are too similar in shape and size ( I might be wrong though) by emperor you mean Pomacanthus imperator? that gets BIG...... CBB is an awesome fish but very delicate, it handles stress particularly badly, often manifested in a reluctance to eat. if the problem isn't quickly corrected the fish will perish rather quickly.... longnose, bluering and moorish i have no exp with.

all the fish you mentioned are not really beginner fish, at the exception of maybe the coral beauty and the moorish clown. im not saying you are a disgraceful noob just be ready to face the consequences should there be a need to take quick action.... also keep in my mind that the angels you mentioned as well as the copper band are not considered 100% reef safe....
    if you plan on a CBB you can forget about clams (mine regularly nipped at the mantle)
    if you plan on a CB or flame you can put a cross on sponges and small polyped corals (any samll polyped coral, from acros to montiporas)

Iv mentioend this before but when I got my CBB it did not eat for the first week, it was cause of much stress and unhappiness for me...till i tried offering an open clam...it went straight for it and since then i incorporate calms in the fish goo i make..... so should you decide to go down the CBB path remember this if you are having a hard time getting him/her to eat.... Still its a fish i DO NOT recommend....

4. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I wouldn't recommend doing any of the fish that you had listed with the exception of maybe the coral beauty and flame angel (I had a flame with no issues). All others are very delicate species with special diets and should be left in the ocean.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    nanomania likes this.
  5. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

my mistake i was thinking of maroon clown fish, you meant moorish Idol, definitely not a fish for beginners.....

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  6. nanomania

FALSE moorish idol, i guess its also known as banner fish

7. nanomania

Wanted cbb specially for apitasia, i guess wont add now. Long nose is my fav. Fish. Iv always like coral beauty. Flame angel is like way above my fav. fish.. i guess wont add them or maybe make a butterfly and angel only tank in future.. however im still intrested in flame, as its a dwarf angel, can add it in my display fuge. Lets see..

8. Click Here!

9. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I still think that you should change your fish list. These are difficult, and I guarantee you will be starting a post about how your cbb (or whatever) is sick. Stick with some easy tangs, small schooling fish, foxface are really cool just to name a few.

nanomania likes this.