Angel in trouble!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Ryland, Nov 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I am no expert by any means but my opinion is the angel is in his last few hours. I went back and checked on him again. He is no longer inside the pvc pipe. He is half floating-sinking in the tank upside down. I would say death is iminent.

2. Click Here!

3. Nick

Nick Bristle Worm

Sorry to hear. I think anyone that's been in this hobby long enough has had losses. Probably more than we would like to admit. I think it's important now, to learn what went wrong and how to avoid it from happening again. Lesson learned and all that jazz. Keep us updated of any changes.
    Cheers,

4. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

For 24 hours straight my angel has done nothing except lay on the bottom of the tank. He is still alive...not sure by how much but hes still alive. He does not seem to be able to stay right side up. Hes laying on the bottom upside down. I have witnessed him trying to turn over onto his stomach but it hasnt worked out for him. What does this mean when they are upside down? Is there anything I can do at this point? Added 1 gallon of regular salt water about 2 today. I am up to about 1.013 salinity.

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Swim bladder infection. Pretty much nothing you can do for that. Sorry.

6. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Is this something he has always had and is just now coming out or is this something that was brought on by the hypo?

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Stress can make a swim bladder infection worse, but likely didn't catch it in your tank.

8. Click Here!

9. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

So you think this is something he had and the stress from being placed into hypo caused the disease to become more aggressive? I should note here my other fish that is in the hypo with the angel is doing just fine.

10. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

Ryland, Please dont take what I am about to say too harsh, but it is all from my experience.

It appears from your threads that:
    1. you jumped into a treatment without having all the tools necessary for it.
    2. you didnt go and READ about the disease you are treating.
    3. you ignored several KEY pieces of advice
    4. you made some very drastic environmental changes that were completely unnecessary.
    5. these actions will likely lead to your angel not making it. I hate to say it but you may have to chalk this one up as a loss and lesson learned.

the Marine ich or Crypt likely infected his gills and thus he was laying on his side gasping for breath. the Unreliable hydrometer gave you an inaccurate reading on your salinity and thus you have NO reliable way of knowing what your water salinity is. adding in water of the higher salinity is just causeing a YO YO effect in your water. In my over 10 years of reefkeeping experience, STABILITY IS A KEY to success. when you drop it, then raise it, without accuracy I might add, you are making worthless efforts.

now, I hope you are learning from this experience. to properly do salinity you need to move the fish to the QT at the same salinity. then over 24-48 hours lower it down to 1.009 you can take it in 4-6 steps down. once there, keep it dead on. then treat for the desired time but no less than 4-6 weeks. I did 4 with success. then when it comes time to bring it up, take it in steps of .003. it took me a week to raise mine. thus no added stress on the fish.

you can think of me as harsh or mean, but trust me, I have been there. I hate seeing a fellow reefer suffer with an issue, but you MUST listen to those that have been there. not heresay, junk theories or snake oils.

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes

It would have been better to have done the research with all the information that was provided with different links than to try and reinvent the wheel.

It is a learning process, I think quite a few people attempted to assist you with sound proven information. Been following this fish through a couple of threads.

Sorry about your fish.

12. Nubz

Nubz Astrea Snail

I am sorry to hear about your angel, I too have lost angel fish to infections, the worst was my baby french angel, had ich turn into a gill infection, it all went down hill from there, but it's part of fishkeeping we all face, how's the damsel?