anenome

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Bugsy, Jul 19, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. shawnz28

shawnz28 3reef Sponsor

In my opinion I would rather have Aptisia over these in my tank, the aptasia are easier to get rid of. I have see a 500 gallon tank at a store out here that was absolutely covered in these things. The only thing I have any success with getting rid of them is with Joe's Juice which takes more of to kill than an aptasia

2. Click Here!

3. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

I think you that if you like the anemone it you should kill them all except the smallest. Then try to keep all of them killed off except for one. I think you could do some kind of injection to kill them.

4. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

I wonder if they would work well in a refugium?

John

5. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

I don't know John, but if they're like aipstasia there's no controlling them.

6. shawnz28

shawnz28 3reef Sponsor

Trust me they are like Aptasia.

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

I certainly do trust you :) never had the problem and by what I have read and seen I don't want it either.

Anthony Calfo once suggested that growing aipstasia in a sump/refugium as a 'scrubber'.

http://www.aquaserve.com/articles/Good Use for Aiptasia.htm

I really like the way Calfo thinks and if you haven't read his book on coral propagation, it is an excellent reference.

John

8. Click Here!

9. shawnz28

shawnz28 3reef Sponsor

I agree the the Book of Coral Prop is an excellent book and a good read.  I would worry that they would still manage to spread to the main system... but thats just me, and I know my luck :D

We have had a couple of these come in on a couple of corals and I will say if you dont take care of them quick they will spread quickly and they are persistant.

10. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Nah, I agree with you about the anemone spreading :)  I guess I was just trying to show a different point of view.

What have you found to be the best way of killing them?

John

11. shawnz28

shawnz28 3reef Sponsor

Joe's Juice or Kalkwasser paste, but of course with the kalk you have to be careful.

12. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Thanks mate :) I haven't seen Joes Juice over here, but will file the Kalk paste for future reference. I certainly hope it is not needed :)

John