Anenome ID Help

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by New2Reef, Mar 2, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. New2Reef

New2Reef Astrea Snail

Whew....looks like I got snowed :(...My LFS said that these were hardy and I shouldnt have any trouble with this lil guy,and that my tank was ready for an anenome and a clown....looks like more of a sale to me.
    I think I'll bring the lil guy back and slow down..and for now on I'll research everything b4 I buy it from her.
    The guy we've been going to lately is diffinetly honest and has helped us tremendously with our tank.Not to make this a novel.But.
    We started the tank with a Fluval 403 canister(stop lol)
    the tank cycled quickly but was never clear.We stopped by a different FS and asked some questions.Well we soon ripped out the crushed coral,fluval,and fake corals.
    Then went to about 4 inches of sand...and 60 to 70lbs of live rock(still adding a lil here n there) a Prizm
    skimmer.and an Aquaclear 802 powerhead,within 24hrs of the change,the water was incredibly clearer than the canister filter,we found trust in our new FS.We purchased 2 pieces of coral and a new light as well.A Coralife Aqualight 4 bulb unit.2x65 10k's and 2x64 True Actinic 03 blues,reaching a total of 260 watts around 4 watts per gal. which should allow me plenty of light for what I'm planning.A green star polyp,litophyton,and a piece he gave us free(photo).Everything is great and no trouble with any of it.The fish are as follows...the clown as you all know,a yellow tang,coral beauty,domino damsel,a yellow damsel,and a shrimp.Our goal is create a nice little peice of an ocean reef in our home I guess like every1 else, we'd like to keep our corals simple but yet beautiful in the same,we're not really on a buget but dont want to break the bank either.
    We've been very happy so far with what little we have and look forward to new purchases as our tank grows.
    I'm glad I stopped by here for we dont want to rush things and our new FS guy has kept us from doing so,but I guess the other is more of sales than honest advice.Most likely I'll convince my wife into returning the cute lil Anenome and look into purchasing from the other shop.He mentioned a carpet Anenome but didnt recommend it just yet for us,he said that will take some time. Thank You all for the help...and I have enclosed a photo of the small peice he has proporgated from his show tank...Thanks Again
    N2R

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Well, you have seriuosly overstacked your reef and that is without knowing how big your tank is.  Fish should be added only after all LR has been added and the water parameters have stabalized.  One fish every 3 to four weeks is the rule.  It takes time for the denitrifying bacteria to build up and add the additional bioload of ammonia.

What are your tank readings for Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, Ph, Alkalinity, Calcium, and Phosphates?  What size tank do you have and how long has it been up and running?  If you don't have test kits get them ASAP, Seachem and LaMottes are good brands.

Good job on slowing down.  Don't add another thing for at least a month, and test, test, test.

4. New2Reef

New2Reef Astrea Snail

55gals and its been up for several weeks now...I do have test kits and everything is just fine...I even brought a sample to 2 diff LFS and they have both concluded that the water is ok....The only fish in the tank were the damsels when we did the change over to LR and sand...and we added fish slowly...we just bought the clown and anenome last weekend and wanted to know what it was.
    We are planning to visit the LS this weekend and have him check the water again against my readings. I just purchased a Refractometer,I didnt like the cheap tester.
    All the fish seem to be just fine too.
    Thanks Again All....Anybody know what that lil guy is up there?
    Thanks
    N2R