Anemones

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by cody3819, Dec 22, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cody3819

cody3819 Bubble Tip Anemone

So I just bought a green BTA, it really doesn't look upset or mad. I can't see the mouth to know if it's tight or loose. But the foot looked very good when I bought it. When it was in the bag I seen the mouth once, it looked slightly open but not sagging or gapping open. I'm very new to anemones so I just want to know how to know it one is happy or not? It is still inflated, when I first put it in my peppermint shrimp gave it a very hard time, so I moved the shrimp into my back sump. I fed it it took the food and looks as if it ate some of the shrimp, but this morning I noticed a small pice of the shrimp being eaten by my clean up crew. It hasn't moved yet and never fully opened. Is it happy or not? Thanks in advance.

2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

How old is your tank again cody? Normally you don't want to add a nem until the tank is mature and VERY stable. I'd stop feeding it for now and let it do what it wants without any intervention. Anemones will digest what they can and spit out the rest. It's best to remove any uneaten food, especially in a tank that small since things can get out of whack quickly. Another thing to think about is the risk of keeping a nem with surrounding corals in a small tank since it can decimate the corals in its path. For now just leave it be.

4. cody3819

My tank is almost 8 months old... it is very stable as far as nitrates and pH the only thing was that calcium issue I had. I did some reading before I bought it and I knew that it would a little challenge as far as where it wanted to be and my other coral. Once my cleanup crew was don't with what was leftover of the shrimp I did remove it..... (actually I fed my peppermint with it) I guess my guesting is, it's where I can't see its mouth, how can I know if it's happy. Looks as if it's bubbles are starting to come back again. But still hadn't moved, and it's not fully open. Now it is about 3/4 open and the tenticles are swaying in the current.

5. cody3819

6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Looks a bit bleached. I'd let it be while it's acclimating to your system.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  7. cody3819

They had it in a shallow tank at the LFS.

8. Click Here!

9. cody3819

I haven't messed with it since I put it in and fed it yesterday. I'm not touching it.

scajeo and DSC reef like this.
  10. cody3819

As the lighting started to turn into day it's looking 100% better.

11. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Good. Don't feed it. I have never fed my three rbta I have.

12. cody3819

Oh wow, what does it eat? How long before I can let my clown host it... my clown is trying now. But I'm getting something to separate them as we speak