Anemone's- share what you have learned: Updated

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by alpha_03, Dec 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mazaj

mazaj Feather Duster

Alpha, i did not gave Tesla the name "mad scientist" he was known by that. and i did not mean it as an insult it was supposed to be a joke.
    anyways Tesla dedicated his life to his job and he studied and had tons of experience b4 swimming against the current. most of the people here are hobbyist not scientists.
    good job on keeping the nem, i envy you. but i cannot.
    as for the ocean yes it is more stable than the aquarium no matter what we do. there is no salinity swings, temp swings are very minimal and over extended time, parameters are the same since ever. well every thing in the ocean is stable until bp or other company screw up.

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

dead serious alpha 03

LPS corals , some may move, but I have never had any that did not stay where I chose to locate them
    Nems on the other hand have a tendency to be either
    A - where you dont see them ( foot against front glass)
    B - right on top of another coral
    C- round the back of the reef

I have a carpet Lobo - looks like a stoicactus nem, beautifull

I feel nems in a species tank, are ideal
    Nems in my community tank - Im not prepared to risk it

Steve

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Well, internally, my computer uses DC, my TV uses DC, my cable box uses DC, my XBox uses DC, my router uses DC, my microwave is DC, my refrigerator partially uses DC, the pumps on my tank are AC, the fans are DC, the moonlights are DC, the (digital) timers are DC, the battery backup is DC....

There's a reason complex electronics aren't made using AC power sources (as in, they convert the AC to DC internally). It's because DC is outright more useful. AC is just good at transmission.

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

......AND, if America would have stuck with DC for transmission, you wouldn't be typing this on a computer today at your home or office because you wouldn't have a computer at your home or office because it wouldn't have any electricity. Plain and simple.

Any other debate on this topic should be done in The Bucket Forum.

6. DARKHAVEN

DARKHAVEN Astrea Snail

And sometimes Anemones just bloody up and disapear. I had a bubble tip for almost a year and it had two happy spots it would migrate too in my tank it had nice color wasnt bleaching or anything. then one day i came home from work and it was gone. I had always heard that if they die they cloud up the water and srew up ur params i tested mine and they where the same as they were a couple days before and there was no swings later on eather. that was a couple years ago and havnt had one sence because i still havnt figured out what went wrong.

7. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

Howdy,

Well Steve I have a community tank also (actually over stocked- fish wise, I am babby sitting for a few months)- the 165, it contains a very large carpet, a large bubble tip and a small sabae- all three stay where they are because of the way my live rock is set up, and- my lighting is anemone friendly (very important). can we see some pics of the coral you mentioned?

thanks, inwall- I love discussion, you are right, and we need to stay on topic, as I had suggested.

mazaj, you said -
    Thank you for the compliment, but you are not quite right about ocean parameters being consistent- they are usually not consistent with the exception being SG at any given local- the rest is all in the waves- I have actually tested this my self in both Coco Beach Fla. and San Diego Cali. At both high and low tides- night and day time. This isn't to say that the ocean isn't stable, it is- sort of, but this is on a scale that even science cannot accurately measure or predict on a consistent basis. Much like the earths cloud movements- random at best.

8. Click Here!

9. alpha_03

One other thing, it is the randomness of our oceans that creates such diversity.

In the aquarium, we are trying to match a set of scientific parameters that are known to be indicative of supporting aquatic marine life, this in itself leads to "old tank" syndrome" and unstable water parameters because there is no changing of the "tides" so to speak, and certain "critters' that mother nature would normally deal with naturally- cannot be remedied w/o the aquarist's intervention, hence water changes- BUT, water changes are not the same thing as the diversity in our oceans- where on the whole, can not change, as it is after all one large body of water, interconnected, and yet it changes constantly still supporting 2/3 of all earths life forms, why- random diversity.

I personally feel this "changing of the tides" is mother natures way of keeping things tidy, and yet diverse, this so as to support life at many different levels and various cycles.

Obviously, there must be diversity and constant yet random change, w/o it, eventually all life would perish on our planet.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  10. alpha_03

Here is a link to a vast amount of information, this link pertains to anemones, but there is a vast amount of info concerning all aquatic life- prob. the best on the net IMHO.

enjoy! :)

Corals to Hobbyists, Cnidarians 2:* Hexacorals:

11. bdixon

bdixon Plankton

12. alpha_03

^ :) good information but for me many of the links are not working.