Anemone's- share what you have learned: Updated

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by alpha_03, Dec 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Well I Strongly, suggest that a new hobbyist get the basics of water chemistry down, only introduce an anemone to an established system of no less than 1 year, and do as much research as possible, this is not the reality, nor will it be.

If an individual has just purchased an anemone before they did all of the above, all I can do is offer advice and guidence if they accept it.

Your argument can be made for tangs, seahorses, ................. In my ideal world no one would be buying natilus, wild caught seahorses, magnifica anemones, but that is not the way it works.

Currently I am seeing a big surg in popularity in BTA and a real market for cloned ones, this is a good thing IMO. People are propagating mini-maxi and trying their hand at propagation of the more difficult anemones like carpets.

I do not believe it is such a black and white issue. No anemones for anyone.

Make the best of it and do what you can with the current practices and hopefully the dismal number of anemone successes will turn around in the future.

2. Click Here!

3. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

to mazaj,

so 99% die in 6-12 months thats incredible. can you please tell me where you got your info because i want to be the 1% that does things right. just got a Mini carpet nem (i didn't specifically want one but it was pretty and for sale) and want to do the best i can!

sorry for the jack but i want atleast a little background on these stats.

Ben

4. mazaj

mazaj Feather Duster

Anemones and Clown Fish
    here is 1 of the articles about anemones and there is tons of them available online. this 1 is a bit old but i think the fact did not change dramatically yet.
    i know the urge to buy a beautiful critter, this is why i started reading about nems. the only nems im willing to keep are either tank bred (or aquacultured) or buy it from some1 breaking down his system.

5. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

That's a good article. At the end he says a "captive Clown Fish need anemones about as much as they need a bicycle".

Maybe, at the end of the day, nems should just be left in the sea.

6. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

I will answer you both at the same time- And that is your take on Tesla- wow- how enlighting- I wont debate this here, if you want this a debated issue, let me know. 33 yrs of my 47 living, experience electrically has taught me much- how about you?

As for keeping anemone's- it all about proper care from ocean to tank- and it's the inbetween that causes the most trouble. Sure people buy them and accidentially kill them, usually because they dont know any better- this is on the LFS. But I will bet you this- more humans kill other humans then humans kill anemones by 1000 fold. What say you of this?

So big deal I have a 5 plus year old anemone in my tank, but I believe this- if I can do it so can you, like I said, what will you say when he hits 10 years- 20 years........70 years. The object is in the trying- nothing succeds unless you honestly try, and then try again- failure can lead you to sucess.. If we didnt try to do new things- we wouldnt be talking ..now would we, still be sitting around a camp fire in some cave.

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” Nikola Tesla

Put that in your hat Edison- A mad man? please......

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Edison is actually one of the few people that could rival Tesla in the raw amount achieved, both in the short term and long term. Edison would have no problem leaving the hat right where it is.

8. Click Here!

9. alpha_03

And you think the Earth's oceans provide this enviroment for them? If so you have a lot to learn.

10. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

dont know anything worth knowing about nems

I do know, I dont want one

anything that can move and sting, not for me thank you

my SPS would never forgive me, if I expossed them to that

its the Russian Roulette of reef tanks IMO

Steve

11. alpha_03

Look Black Raven, when you post stuff like this:
    This comment isn't even worth the effort on my part, you are simply, completely, and entirely- incorrect. Please, I asked you if you wanted a debate/discussion concerning this topic to save it for another thread, go read some more about AC electricity later on, lets talk about anemones- cause this is an area I think you actually have some experience and valuable input available.

12. alpha_03

well then Steve never get a plate coral, never do LPS, they move too, never do anything that is really a representation of our oceans, come on man surely you are kidding.