Anemone's- share what you have learned: Updated

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by alpha_03, Dec 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Wow!!!

I want good information on 3Reef. Me thinks that some people were a little too zealous in the way they presented their info. Debate is a part of this hobby. Frankly, debate is the reason WHY this hobby has progressed. I don't think I'm seeing debate here. I think I'm seeing a peeing contest. Clean it up everyone and play nice. If you disagree with someone, I don't really care. I care HOW you disagree with them. As a hint, I DO NOT LIKE veiled profanity and I DO NOT LIKE veiled insults.

2. Click Here!

3. regmc

regmc Plankton

Today I had a rock movement problem. Got straightened out and not my BTA has a white substance protruding out of the center. The base still appears to have good color but is shriveled. Any help or explanation will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Reg

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Sounds like the anemone is showing it's mesenterial filaments, in response to stress or injury.

I would watch carefully for the next 24 and if you can get a picture that would be great.

They can recover from this but it can also go the other way quickly.

5. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

+1 agreed.

Maybe move the anen's rock close to the lights in a low flow area, this way it can heal itself.

I hope all turns out well. let us know.

6. alpha_03

Here are a few pics of my healthy anemones: from top to bottom, 18" carpet w/clarkii host, 5" rose bubble hosting my devils hand, 10" bubble w/3 perc. as host's, 4" green bubble.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. alpha_03

One other thing I would like to add- Anemones should be "sticky" esp. carpets, if they are not- something is wrong- so be cautious of this.

The carpet anemone I have is so sticky if you touch him, good luck getting him removed, he doesn't let go, they are like pit bulls. ;D

8. Click Here!

9. shecter

shecter Fire Shrimp

my lta is like that its crazy the hold they can put on you

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

BTW....this is EXACTLY what happens. It's not based on someone's opinion or experience, it's scientific fact. Harmless Ammonium becomes harmful Ammonia. When I would get a shipment of fish in, it was not uncommon for them to come in at a SG of 1.016. I cannot just drop them into a system at 1.025 so I have to drip acclimate them. Not only that, I have 100's of fish at risk and some of them cost hundreds of dollars. Seachem sells "store use" Prime in very large containers and trust me, when I'm acclimating, I use plenty of it for this very reason. Before the first bag is cut, there's always Prime in the bottom of the acclimation tub. Then I scoop out a lot of the water. That's what I do just from quality wholesalers who unload fish, make sure they're healthy, and then bag them and ship them out. If I was bringing in a transshipment, I would purposely drop the SG of the ponds once I tested a sample of the bags.....then it was cut-dump, cut-dump, cut-dump. None of these fish were re-oxed in LA nor Miami and I wanted them out of their waste instantly and didn't want them to die once they were re-oxed.

In short, drip acclimation is not always the best thing. You do need to consider the source of your purchase. If you bought it local, drip by all means. This makes complete sense. If you bought it off the internet, be wary because it might have been transshipped.

The advice was sound. The delivery of the advice needs to tweaked a little IMO. 3Reef is about helping people....not about being right. IMO, this was a fight that serves no purpose. How about we all agree to work together??

11. alpha_03

Have you ever wondered why they come in at
    I too have seen this myself.

12. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Because SG 1.016 water is cheaper to make than SG 1.025 water, and most fish have absolutely no problems with SG 1.016 water.