anemones HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by jammers2, Nov 29, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jammers2

jammers2 Astrea Snail

i have no idea what natural ocean water has to do with this. if you don't know what you are doing it doesn't matter what kind of water you have because your tank is going to fail anyways. countless hours does need to be dedicated to reasearch to tank inhabitants but even then it is still impossible to know everything about the fish/invert. there is info out there that one site says its ok to do this one site says definately not one site says you need this one says you don't. so you can get a general idea of how to care for the fish but some of the preferences comes from experience some from taste and some from research and other things we heard while doing research. no matter how much any of us wants to say our tanks are stable they will never be as stable as the ocean and ocean water might make it a little more stable but it is still nothing like the real ocean and none of our tanks will ever be the same as the real ocean. even after hours of research into every fish all fish are different and it is never a bad idea to get advise from people who have had have the same fish and see what they did or what happened

2. Click Here!

3. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

Pretty much true jammer, the only reason I mention natural sea water is due to the fact- it is the best water (when clean) for any sw critters- period. There are companies out there that actually sell filtered SW. I mean after all, this is where these critters come from- unless tank raised- I have never seen a truely tank raised anemone- and I dont think anyone else has either- but I could be wrong.

We try to recreate the ocean in our tanks using equipment such as wave makers and light timers, the sky is the limit, but I agree, none of this is really the ocean- so we have a choice, keep trying to make it better or give up.

I will keep trying, and I hope you will too.

4. jammers2

jammers2 Astrea Snail

i definately will this is something that i have wanted my whole life. i love salt water tanks and fish in general. i don't think it is possible to have tank raised anemones just because the simple fact that even if an anemone does split in your tank it is still from the ocean i have not seen anything in my search about tank raised anemones. i know clowns are being tank raised but i don't agree that they are the same as clowns from the ocean. ocean clowns more vibrant colors even though they may be more vunerable to diseases in tanks because they aren't used to the closed off environment. it is just the simple fact like i said that none of us can make our tanks exactly like the ocen and i think that has a lot to do with why we don't have a lot more tank raised fish/inverts for our tanks. being in our tanks makes our fish streesed a little more then they would be if they were left in the ocean and i don't know of a single person that can say that every thing they have placed in their tanks has done well and survived no matter how much research and care we have given our creatures. there are millions of things in our tank that can make the creature in our tanks unsuccesfull some can be controlled some cant

5. alpha_03

Give me a few mins- I am going to post a pick of my 29 gallon, this tank is a take off from my 165 gallon- I want to show you what patience can do for you.

6. jammers2

jammers2 Astrea Snail

i am in no way saying that tanks cant be successfull i am well aware of how successfull fish can be in the tank environment i am simply saying that there is no way to make our tanks exactly like the ocean we can try but no matter how much we do or how much we spend on upgrades it is still not the same. from everything that i have read there aren't a lot of fish that are bred in captivity and like i said i think it is the simple fact that we cant have the ocean in our tanks. our tanks can do well and live forever but there are some thngs that we cant do no matter how many times we try.

7. alpha_03

I wonder if you can tell me what in this tank isnt captive bred and raised (ORA)? there is one we know of for sure- but what of the others? My point here is to prove to you that if I can do this- so can you. I'll bet in no time you'll do much better then this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]