anemones HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by jammers2, Nov 29, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

As for the skimmer, there are many HOB (Hang on back) options. Don't worry about trying to get one that is for a 30 gallon tank. I would look for one at least double that size. The remora is great IMO, I used to have one and loved it.

2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

The OP, who is new to the hobby, wouldn't have, and neither did another member. Therefore, it needs to be said that it's not the right way to do things. Sarcasm doesn't come across well via text, especially in isolated incidents like that.

4. jammers2

jammers2 Astrea Snail

will definately buy the AquaC Remora thanks

5. jammers2

jammers2 Astrea Snail

i have a heater and a filter for a 70 gallon tank and also a power head but was informed that i needed a powerhead and skimmer for a tank my size so i went out and bought a smaller power head so its nice to finally know that i can go larger with the skimmer at least

6. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

I get your point Raven, but I have to say, why would someone sell a customer something that is going to die most likely- it is very irresponsible, and not good for any business owner. I live in the midwest and in my town I dont know of a single LFS that would do such a thing.

On the flip side- it is also the responsibility of the pet owner to do some research before he/she makes a purchase.

Agreed?

7. blackraven1425

Agreed that someone should do research, but there really is only 1 LFS around my area that would hold off on a sale because the customer's tank isn't ready. Every single PetCo would sell a nem with no hesitation, guaranteed. The same goes for most of the actual LFS around here, except for a single one that was literally started because the two dudes who own it (also the only people who work there regularly) were already spending so much time on saltwater that they "may as well" (true story).

The average person who buys a nem doesn't do research. They buy it from PetCo, where they say T12 single bulb is ok, and it will do ok in a tank that's only a day old, and that those tank bred occelaris clowns need it to host - not at all the case, but the people working at most of the big stores are flat out ignorant when it comes to saltwater, and that's the way the majority of people are who buy anemones.

Then they come here, and get offended at the very suggestion that they probably won't be able to keep it long term and go off on a tirade of "ganging up" and various other accusations towards the members of forums, as if most experts can even keep them long term.

8. Click Here!

9. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Hi Jammers,

I for one certainly agree with what you wrote here – but some LFS are just after the quick sale – or they could have assumed you are experienced, have an older stable system and know what you are doing.

When I started I went into a LFS in Jersey and the lady sold me a 180 reef, stand, rock, salt, heater, sump …. Blah blah blah – thousands as I recall it. She talked me through the cycle and then sold me animals that I promptly killed. I read books and hit the internet….it was here that my wife and I were beyond p’d at this LFS. Some of them are just arrogant to boot - and yes, irresponsible as you suggested.

10. alpha_03

I guess it boils down to impulsive buying.

But, before someone gets offended by my statement let me say to you this.

Most of the time fresh water critters do very well in a new tank with good quality water. That said there are a few things that make even this statement not entirely correct, rather, just "generally" true. Angel fish and Discus for example can be difficult to care for.

In any aquatic enviroment there needs to be filtration, other wise the water quality diminishes and the critters die. This is done in many ways in the natural enviromet- some of which are still not fully understood. But this natural filtration creates what is most important- stability, this is a balance of what is required for these critters to thrive. Most aquariums, do not have this all important factor of stability for quite some time.

The difference between fresh water critters and salt water critters is night and day. Salt water itself is not a natural occurance to we land lubers who drink fresh water, so it is easy to understand why so many people think you can simply mix up some saltwater and viola- instant ocean- NOT TRUE.

It would be great to live by the sea and get all the real ocean water you wanted, but most people dont- hence the reason for man made saltwater. As such, time and patience are required to get the right "balance" so your critters will thrive.

I dont know how else to easily explain it- patience is the key, read, and then- read some more. Then try things in small steps. That is what I do.

Like I said nothing is set in stone- sometimes we get lucky.

11. blackraven1425

Red Sea salt is actually natural ocean salt (from the Red Sea; would woulda thunk it?), not synthetic like every other company. However, you don't always want to use natural ocean water. I know you definitely wouldn't want to do that in New Jersey, where the water is, well, polluted. You might even have lower growth rates on corals with NSW, since our tanks are usually higher than NSW levels in alk and calcium (more bioavailable = more able to be used).

The balance we make has nothing to do with the salt water being man made; all the salt we buy is already balanced. It has to do with the waste products our critters generate, which is a greater factor than the water, called "environment". We need to provide not just good salt water (easy), but a full, balanced environment (hard).

12. alpha_03

Hence the reason most of what we reef keepers have in our tanks come from "clean" tropical water areas. As for salt mixes- none of them are as good a natural clean sea water - even Julian Spung states this to be true.

If I lived in such a place say the Bahamma's or such, I would use nothing but natural sea water in my tank. I have seen these types of tanks myself- they are amazing. Even our own Henry Dorly Zoo uses narural sea water in their aquariums. As do many other zoo's arround the world. But proper filtration is key to waters overall quality, as I previously stated.