anemones HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by jammers2, Nov 29, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

try lemon juice- works great!!

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

As for you puffer question, it's best to start a new thread as it will get much more views and responses.

As to the anemone, I agree with Blackraven 100%. I've been a member here for about 3 years and a question like this comes up fairly frequently. I'm not going to throw arbitrary number at you or unknown statistics, but generally anemones should not be kept in home aquariums. There are some creatures that should not be kept at home, and these are one of them. A little while back Inwall (I think, sorry if it's somebody else), had an awesome write up about anemones, survival rates and great facts on them. I wish I could find to post the link, but it's her someplace. Basically, the vast majority will die within a year, and it's very rare to have one live longer than 2-3 years, even when kept by an experienced hobbyist.

Blackraven was right too in that you responded just like the majority of the other posters who bring this issue up, that somehow you or your tank is different. I'm not trying to be condescending, we've all made mistakes and done things we probably shouldn't have, but it's the truth. From your initial post, it was quite obvious that you haven't done enough research on this subject. You may be very familiar on other areas in this hobby, but from your questions and postings, any experience member can tell you need to research some more. Again, no one hear knows everything, and I am constantly learning everyday in this hobby, but it just takes time and experience.

As for us "ganging" up on you, please. First, it's the internet, you need some thicker skin if you think that was ganging up on you. Second, this is one of the best reef forums and best moderated forums on the internet. Go to other sites and ask the same question, then you'll see what ganging up can be. I'm not trying to be mean or cynical, but to me, it's the truth. You have to accept constructive criticism and just b/c you don't like what you hear, doesn't mean everyone is against you. I can tell you everything will be ok, and that your anemone will live for years and years, but I wouldn't be a good member of this site for doing that, nor would I be a good hobbyist.

Having said all that, what's done is done and we are here to help you. It may be wise to return the anemone until you are more experienced and your tank is more mature, but if you don't, if any issues arise, please ask and we will do our best to help you.

4. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

and for the rest of you ...god people chill out!

5. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

Agreed. The few aiptasia in my tank now survived my cycle that saw 8.0ppm ammonia and over 30ppm nitrates before things got better. "pests" are the hardiest of creatures.

6. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

Ya know I wasnt even gonna bother with a reply, but if you can not tell when someone is kidding arround, you really need to get out more often- who the heck would want apstasia in their tank to begin with- GET IT NOW?

Geeze- at least some people got the joke.

1 person likes this.
  7. jammers2

jammers2 Astrea Snail

i am not eperienced in saltwater tanks and like everybody i am learning new stuff pretty much daily. i cannot return the anemone to the original store it was bought from because of their no return unless dead policy. i will keep everybody posted on the status of the little guy. i have been looking for a protein skimmer small enough for my tank since it was set up and still to this day cannot find one. i was told that i would be ok without a skimmer in my tank since it is so small as long as i have a little extra live rock. does anybody know where i can get a skimmer that sits on the outside of my tank that will work for a 30 gallon tank?

8. Click Here!

9. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

yeha probably take it back; they aren't for beginners. the reason those guys at ur LFS or wherever u get your fish don't tell you about their survival rate is because they just want a quick buck out of you.

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

The poster can not return the anemone Saltwater guy.

11. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

a skimmer that sits on outside of a 30 gallon tank

I would suggest an AquaC Remora - These skimmers have a great reputation

Puffer fish - Crimson Ghosts suggestion of bloodworm - definitely try bloodworm
    Ill be shocked if it will not eat them

Steve

12. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

i appoligize then, but i don't want to further anything.