anemones HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by jammers2, Nov 29, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I think that last sentence qualifies as talking trash (ironically, while complaining about someone else talking trash), to be honest.

However, the best help for someone extremely new is to get them to not try and keep animals that aren't going to survive for long periods of time. You can think all the bad you want about this forum and others, but know that it's out of respect for the animals and a deep understanding of their long term care and needs, rather than just a "bash the newb" thing. Yours may be ok, it may not be, but the general rule is that it'll die a slow death in the hands of any but an experienced saltwater hobbyist. Please, do come back in a year if you still have it, and tell us whether we were wrong or right. But there's also a reason I said in my second post on this thread "Just waiting for the typical response, again", because this is generally the attitude every single beginner has towards the advice offered on anemones. None come back to prove they were the exception, either.

I mean, put it this way. Even some of the regulars here don't get a resounding "Woohoo! Yeah! Congrats!" when they post the picture of their new anemone. That's how seriously unlikely you are to succeed.

Also, there's no way to see a serious difference in an anemone over the course of a couple days, though; heck, they take 6 months or more just to starve to death! The growth on an anemone can't be quantified over the course of a week, either - they don't grow fast enough, and they inflate and deflate their bodies to various degrees throughout the day, let alone at two different times of day a week apart. How do you know you see growth rather than a slightly more inflated body today vs yesterday? This is a legitimate question that I think you should consider.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

For one this is a forum for trying to help. They were helping by telling you your tank wasn't ready for the nem. If it does well then more power to you. But just know the odds are against you.
    Another thing is if you have researched about them then you would know not to buy the almost dead one at the lfs and try to save it in your just done cycling tank.
    Some people may come off as being jerks about this. Myself included. Its because its such a touchy subject and we've heard it all before. Newbie buys tank, buys nem, ask questions, gets mad when we tell them the truth.
    Sorry

4. jammers2

jammers2 Astrea Snail

he was fully retracted this morning right before the lights were turned on and he does inflate/deflate throughout the day but he is definately bigger unless he wasn't fully inflated when i bought him

5. shecter

shecter Fire Shrimp

everything they have said is true. i take what the people here have to say seriously because they have all been where we are at and then some. if they didnt have valid advice to give there wouldnt be a forum here with people with the ridiculously magnificent tanks they have. these people know their stuff. please take that into consideration

6. pizza101

pizza101 Flamingo Tongue

A little drama never killed anyone!! Never the less, I think everyone is just trying to show that in saltwater aquariums can be a learning experience for everyone. And while we all want to see each others tanks flourish some things like LTA are a bigger challenge that SPS that could thrive and help season the tank for that day that a LTA could be added. I was sold a LTA back in the day a week after setup of tank( WOW). Yes it died about a month later. I have a tank to see all my things live and grow not die and wither! I hope there is no hard feelings here but really what might be good for me sucks for someone else.

7. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

I agree with Black raven for the most part.

I have had a bubble tip that came with some live rock I bought almost 3 years ago, this is when my large tank was set up- the tank was allowed to cure before I added anything- no skimmer use at all (important) for the first 3 mos. All of my live rock and substrate was over 12 years old (important). This allowed my tank to "mature' very very fast (important). The reason I mention this, is what the others are trying to explain to you, the age of any water system creates STABILITY, stability is the key to sucess with any water born critters- salt water or fresh water. Anen's can be very very picky.

Lighting- it must be strong, the most important thing for ANY anenome- most T5 systems are not adequate- consider metal halide or 3 watt or better LED lighting systems.

Atlantic condy's will do well if the tank is young, but stable, but most other anenome's will usually die- but you might get lucky, but considering the lighting you are using I doubt it.

Oh, and the bubble tip I mentioned- well he is 5 times his original size and is host to 3 very happy perc. clowns. He lives on the opposite side of the tank from my 21" blue green carpet anenome, who is hosted by clarkies.

It took me three years to reach this point, my advice- patience, and learn from others by reading- nothing is set in stone, but for the most part, what the others have informed you of- is spot on correct.

8. Click Here!

9. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Jammers, this forum is the best of the best – honestly.

This anemone is not for beginners, placing it in your juvenile tank is a death sentence – plain and simple. It’s difficult explain this to someone without upsetting them. You said you rescued it form the LFS – you may be true but you didn’t bring it to a healthier environment.

The good news is this forum doesn’t turn its back – so if you insist on keeping your new pet please keep posting and we will do what we can to help you.

Please visit this web site – it is a wealth of information that will help

FAQs on Anemone Identification 10

I would hold off on feeding as this will further stress your pet.

10. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

Ya know, one other way to see if your system can maintain anen's- buy and isolate a chunk of live rock that has a little apstasia on it- for those who don't know- apstasia is an anenome- just little ones. if they die- no big deal as for the most part they are usually considered a pest. ;)

11. makeshiftcrew

makeshiftcrew Gigas Clam

this is one of the best ways to try and see, hell i might have a hidden aptasia somewhere(given my pep's havent eaten it) i would gladly give you lol....like everyone else says it might come off as being mean but emotions are hard to express over the internet....i have 2 LTA's in my tank and i just now put the first in about a month or so ago and added the 2nd yesterday(and my tank is over a year and a half old)

I was like you when i first started...i decided after about 5 months i was ready for a carpet nem...had it maybe 3 weeks thought it was all goin good because it was nice and big, clowns were hosting it and all...next thing i know its dead as a door nail(everyone on here told me to take it back and i thought id be the exception)...so although we say it takes 6 months to die, it could happen sooner.... my advise is just be careful, id take it back and tell them you made a mistake...try some softies or something else for alittle while

12. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

What? That's a horrible way of seeing if your tank will sustain an anemone. Aiptasia are 100 times more resilient than LTA/BTA/Carpet nems. There's a reason they're considered a serious pest regardless as to your water conditions. Ever seen an anemone survive nitrates of 100+? Aiptasia will survive that 99% of the time. They survive just about anything you do to them beyond a drastic, sudden pH swing (kalk or lemon juice kills them for a reason).