anemones HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by jammers2, Nov 29, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jammers2

jammers2 Astrea Snail

i have read that iodine is beneficial to inverts but i have also heard it can be harmful even if using the correct dosage. i am willing to try new things since i only have experience in brackish tanks and freshwater tanks. i have been looking into a skimmer but cant find one small enough for my tank

2. Click Here!

3. Nick

Nick Bristle Worm

Get the next size skimmer up from your tank then. It will only help. Be it the return isn't too much flow for the size tank you have. If you have enough LR and a PS you don't really need a hob filter. I use one in addition because it's nice to remove the particulates that get stirred up in the water. I also use it for the carbon filter properties.
    Cheers,

4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

no offence but i dont think you should go and support someone like that IN THIS KIND OF SITUATION i agree with blackraven, while maybe you did your research and maybe you are getting T5's or MH's or whatever, its no simply based off of those two factors.

5. Nick

Nick Bristle Worm

"Support someone like that in this kind of situation" I'm not sure what you mean. Isn't that what this forum is for. Obviously this person is interested in keeping a tank. Either way having a nem or not a protein skimmer is good to have. Understood individual may have jumped in head first but why not try and help and teach and make the best of the situation. We've all made mistakes and learned from them. Sorta cheap to get on someone else's case for making mistakes. Perhaps I misunderstood though.

6. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

I wouldn't put any anemone in the tank that is less than a year old after my own experience with trying too early. This is not a judgment on your ability as a tank keeper but rather just that the "system" is not mature enough.

I did it a few months into my new tank and while my parameters were good the tank just wasn't seasoned enough and I saw the stress on the anemone within just a few days. I ultimately took it back to the store and gave it back to them for free since they didn't offer refunds on SW items but I knew it was going to die in my tank.

7. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Did NOT mean to come across harsh, but there is pretty much NO way for the nem to come back unless he gives it away. "this kind of situation" as in he bought a nem thats basically going to wither away to nothing. while your story was nice, its just going to encourage him to keep trying to get one in a tank thats just not ready. IMO

but yeah a skimmer would be great nem or no nem.

all i have to say though is look at what people are telling you, most have waited a year or more to add their's maybe you should give it back wait a year then try again

8. Click Here!

9. Nick

Nick Bristle Worm

Fair enough. We all give our "IMO" and I gave mine, as did others. I just don't see how people can just go ahead and say it will die. He's only had it a day and it has no obvious issues thus far. I believe his original question was on lighting. But enough said.

10. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

ok well then i appologize, maybe he'll get lucky, in fact i hope he does and the nem flourishes in his tank, but odds are there's very little chance it will. :/

11. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

I had 2 LTA's die on me one cause I added a small piece of live rock that was suppose to be cured but wasnt and nitrites went through the roof. The other just feed to soon I think and couldnt recover from shock. But my Condy's have survived this whole time great begginer Anenome :)

12. jammers2

jammers2 Astrea Snail

ok for one i am a girl and for two the anemone is doing perfectly fine is no longer white and has its foot firmly planted on a rock since day one and has not moved. it was bought to rescue it from the store where it was about to die at. in the less then a week that i have had it it has its proper color back and has grown a little bit. so thanks everybody for talking trash i thought this was a forum to help people who needed help obviously i was mistaken