anemones HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by jammers2, Nov 29, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jammers2

jammers2 Astrea Snail

i set up a tank and let it cycle for a month before i put in live rock and let it sit for another month. after about two weeks there was what seemed to be algae growing on the rock which eventually spread to the sand, so i got snails which cleared up the algae pretty much overnight. today i bought what i was told was a purple tipped anemone and after aclimating it i placed it in the tank. the anemone was open and inflated the whole time and hasn't really moved around but appears to be where he wants to be. at the moment i have no fish in the tank but i am waiting on a mated pair of clownfish. i am getting new lighting next week with moonlight led and florescent bulbs.
    it is a 30 gallon and i have a 70 gallon biowheel filter and a 30 gallon power head as well as a 70 gallon powerhead( which i took out when i put the anemone in because it was just getting tossed around by it
    should i buy a different lighting system or keep with my original decision to buy the florescent bulbs with moonlight leds?
    is it ok to feed the anemone or should i wait a few day to make sure he is doing ok?
    do i need to add calcium to my tank ?(my calcium is currently at 420)
    any advice would be helpful since i am so new to the saltwater
    thanks!!!!

2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

What kind of flourescent? T5? How many bulbs, what wattage? Wait on feeding, don't need to add calcium.

I would strongly suggest returning the nem. They're not for beginners. The fact that I had to answer the above questions shows you didn't do the proper research into these guys. You tank isn't old enough, you're not experienced enough, and I can guarantee it'll die within 6 months. You have no means of nitrate export, improper lighting, improper filtration, and a lack of general saltwater knowledge.

These guys are seriously not for beginners. They don't tell you at PetCo that they take 6 - 12 months to starve to death or die due to stress. They don't tell you that the average survival rate for anemones is under 10%, mostly because of people who don't do the proper research; beginners who just go and buy them because they're pretty are the ones who make that such a sad statistic. Experts may get up to a 50% long term survival rate; still dismal.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  4. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

definetly agree with above!! learned it the hard way!

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Good luck

6. Corailline

And Hello and Welcome.

I agree with blackraven1425, chances are that the anemone will not do well long term in such a young system, there is just no rushing it.

7. blackraven1425

Yah, I added to my post to clarify all of the reasons why it won't do well. Just waiting for the typical response, again.

8. Click Here!

9. jammers2

jammers2 Astrea Snail

i am getting t5 coralife bulbs and have done countless hours researching lighting corals fish and anemones online and numerious different posts and have gotten mixed results on answers. the anemone is ok i don't plan on adding chemicals to the tank unless absolutely necessary and i understand that anemones are for advanced aquariums but i am willing to accept the challenge i am not going to let the thing just die.

10. blackraven1425

Uh-huh. Whatever you say.

11. Corailline

Speaking for myself you probably have, but it is a lot better to start with simple soft coral and easy LPS than to jump to an anemone.

It is not about a challange, it is about what is best for the anemone and that is an established tank just no two ways about it.

Many great inverts can go into a young system and with patience and time than an anemone.

1 person likes this.
  12. Nick

Nick Bristle Worm

For what it's worth I have an LTA and my tank is about oh six months old maybe. Got him two months ago. This isn't my first tank mind you. not to get into a debate with anyone but I think it's more than easy to care for it you just pay attention and do what's suggested. I dose my tank with iodine. I think that helps although I'm no chemist nor biologist. I also do 15% water changes every other week. I just know that my lta has tripled in size in the last few months. Now he's just about too big and a nuisance! I began by hand feeding him weekly. I've since stopped as he continues to grow and grabs at whatever pieces of mysis he can get his tentacles on! :) Good luck. Also I didn't see a protein skimmer in your description of your equipment. In my opinion I would say that's a must with any saltwater tank. Especially with these guys as they discharge some pretty nasty waste.
    Cheers and good luck

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2010