Anemones! Coming to Terms with their Success in a Reef Aquarium

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Articles and How To's' started by coral reefer, Nov 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Thanks Tom.....Very informative.

2. Click Here!

3. bc219

bc219 Millepora

Sooo... Is it normal for my supposed seabe to change so much (pics I posted)? If it doesn't look like a seabe, any idea what it is??

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Have to get back to you on that one as I will have to do some research! Maybe a bubble tip or pacific long tentacle.

5. bc219

bc219 Millepora

Okay cool just let me know. I have to say it looked like a classic seabe that I see for sale in the lfs's when I first got it, had purple tips too. Tentacles got shorter as time went on...

I will have to say I don't believe it's a bubble tip, it doesn't have any bubble tip-ish qualities.

6. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

bc219,
    It looks really healthy, whatever it is. It's not a long-tentacled (Macrodactyla doreensis)anemone. To me, it looks like a Saebae (Heteractis crispa). Identification is hard, as the Web is full of mis-labeled pictures.

1 person likes this.
  7. bc219

bc219 Millepora

Well the lfs sold it to me as an H. Crispa, it just doesn't look at all like it did when I got it. I never really doubted it until someone here said it didn't look like a seabe (H. Crispa). I have read that if the anemone doesn't have anything hosting it, it won't have full tentacle extension. One thing for sure, it has sure changed a lot since I got it!

/shrug

8. Click Here!

9. BonnieGK

BonnieGK Plankton

Great information. Which anemone would you suggest for a pair of true percula clowns? I was thinking Crispa, as listed in the article, until Coral Reefer said no Crispa at the end of the artilcle.

10. Lady_Bobo

Lady_Bobo Fire Worm

coral reefer - Excellent !

As for bubble tips - check out this web site -
    Caring for these beautiful creatures - INTRODUCTION
    < Yeap - that is all I got! lol>

According to her feeding anemone - silverfish is the way to go - You should be able to find it in you frozen section @ your LFS.
    All bubble tips don't always have the "Bubble tip" due to their personalities - so to speak.
    They are such a magnificent creature !

11. Lady_Bobo

Lady_Bobo Fire Worm

The top pic - Sounds like you got it healthy again...K+
    I think it is a Carpet Anemone

The bottom pic - This could either be a Purple tipped Seabae - a definite purple tip -
    or a Condylactus
    - only reason to suggest that is if the color extends further down from being Just the tips
    If there is no color in the tips I would think it to be the Long tentacle Anemone

Either way - They both look Really healthy and sounds like you doing it right if the first stopped bleaching!

1 person likes this.
  12. davidkaleko

davidkaleko Flamingo Tongue

Great article, very informative! I can't wait to get my anemone :)