Anemone vis-a-vis Lighting Requirements

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by SAW39, Jan 1, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

Billrwilson,
    What are you disagreeing with? That PCs don't provide enought light, or that I shouldn't get the T-5 setup? (Too late, I ordered it this afternoon.)

I've only had fish-only tanks, so to me, your 390-watt PC setup seems huge.

2. Click Here!

3. liverock

liverock Plankton

at last an anemone discussion.
    I have four carpet anemones. Lights are about 480 watts of metal halide on a tank size of 60" * 24"* 18". Three are somewhat limp right now & are loosing color. Not feeding well also. The last one is still okay and is feeding at regular intervals.
    Can somebody tell me the precise needs of anemones.
    I will not like to kill anemones in the future.

waiting for a reply

4. Big_Wally_B

Big_Wally_B Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

help?

Carpets are notoriously difficult. They cannot handle anything but the most pristine waters. They also generally need a great deal of light, which you seem to have, at least a minimum of.
    If you insist on keeping these beautiful but difficult creatures, it would behove you to invest in a good book on their care. Although the "pros" are not always "right", we cannot offer "professional" help, only anecdotal.
    If you followed the thread, the outcome was basically
    Which brings us to the plethora of perpetual questions. By your dims you have a 110 gallon tank. What are your water parameters? How heavily loaded is your biosystem? What do you feed and how often? How long have you had them?

Cheers

5. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

:lol: We can't offer professional help mainly because we have yet to find anyone who will pay us for our advice! :laughings

6. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

Postscript

The new light for the aquarium arrived Wednesday from Premium Aquatics. It's the 96W, 4-bulb 24" T5-HO system discussed earlier. Man, is that thing bright!

No noticable change in the anemone's behavior, coloration or health. If anything interesting happens, I'll post a note.

7. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Should start walking around to find the light level it likes. Pretty bright for 96W ain't it. How about some pics?

8. Click Here!

9. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

Here's the anemone after three days under the new 96W T5 fluorescent lights.
    [​IMG]

10. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

...and here's a picture of the light.

[​IMG]

11. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

Update: The anemone is happy

I returned from a 3-week business trip. The anemone certainly likes the new lights! She's a third larger than the picture above, now stretching from the side of the tank to the "sunken ship". She's a healthy brownish color.

You anemone experts were right! :wiseguy:

Now, if I can get the red slime algae under control, I'll be completely happy.

1 person likes this.
  12. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

How is the tank and the anemone now?