Anemone Shrunk?? Dieing?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by wpmcgree, Nov 8, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wpmcgree

wpmcgree Astrea Snail

Hey i came home from running errands and my anemone has significantly shrunk in size. Is he dieing? I tested the water and it seems to be fine. Is this usual for an anemone to do? Pictures of it are on my profile.

2. Click Here!

3. Scubagator87

Scubagator87 Skunk Shrimp

How old is your tank? and what's the wattage on your lighting (although the T5's look pretty good).

Anemones shrink into themselves when they are stressed; mine does weird stuff all the time but it usually opens back up. Just wait and see if it changes or persists.

I also noticed you have a flame angel in the tank with it? I didn't think they were reef safe; it may be pecking at the anemone and stressing it.

4. wpmcgree

wpmcgree Astrea Snail

Its funny you said that because my flame angle jumped out of my tank the other day so he is no longer with me lol. Why would he be stressed out? he was fine this morning.

5. Scubagator87

Scubagator87 Skunk Shrimp

idk; mine gets stressed from my shrimp walking all over him. They are also sensitive to changes in water temp, salinity, lighting etc. Which is why I asked about the tank's age. They tend to do better in well established systems of about a year or older (although I lucked out with mine i think). How is the coloring?

Also if it opens back up, see if it will accept a silverside (and if the tentacles still have their stick). Anemones tend to fluctuate in size occasionally so its probably not a big deal.

Just keep a close eye on it and update us on any changes

6. wpmcgree

wpmcgree Astrea Snail

Yea he still has his stick. the tank is well established too. im just worried because i have never seen him this small before. i did add some ph buffer to the tank today to try and raise the ph a bit. i don't know if that would do it though. his color is from the looks still good. but i will keep you updated on him. Nemo is trying to lay in him and he is now bigger than his host lol.

7. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

happens to mine once every few days, it's fine, it'll just open back up nicely hopefully if your water parameters are to par and not too big of a change in some water temps or conditions

8. Click Here!

9. getinpora

getinpora Coral Banded Shrimp

How long have you had it?