anemone looks like its dying

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by truck24000, Sep 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. truck24000

truck24000 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

it looks really weird only way to explaine it. it is starting to split in half and looks all wilted and droppy really bad, looks like it has two seperate mouths but i only have one anemone!!!!!!!!!!! is it gonna die? what can i do? will try and get pics ASAP
    any advise will help
    i tried to remove it but foot is attached under rock by almost 9 inches
    it has been in the same spot for over 4 years now and getting bigger all the time

2. Click Here!

3. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

When they go to split, they will look rather wilted. If it's developing two separate mouths, then yes it is splitting. I say if it's still firmly attached, leave it be for a while. If it starts to bleach, then you should get worried.

4. robwerden

robwerden Feather Duster

I have seen people kill anemones because they are so afraid of skunking their tank. Anemones that are well fed and have good living conditions still go through periods where they look like they are sick when in fact they are behaving normally. Splitting, shedding fingers and deflating for a few days are all normal.

Detaching and bleaching as well as turning inside out are signs of immanent death. How ever sometimes one can be saved by placing it in a isolation tank and flushing it with a turkey baster into its mouth. I had a BTA that had a silverside skeleton lodged in its mouth and it was dyeing. That method forced pressure to expand its fragile mouth and dislodge the obstruction. It is now fully recovered oven though it detached and bleached and shed all its tentacles or fingers. I hate to see one of these magnificant creatures who in the wild can out live a generation of humans be flushed in the toilet because people are scared of skunking their tank. TLC works wonders.