anemone dying???

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by agiuliano87, Sep 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. agiuliano87

agiuliano87 Astrea Snail

I know everyone is saying they lied to us but I really really doubt that because we are friends with them and they are always giving us things for free or discount. We haven't paid full price for anything in a lonnnggg time. Plus we've lost stuff in his tank before and brought it back and got a full refund or they would replace it. I'm thinking maybe they were just told that people have done it before and thought it was ok maybe?

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

My opinion

if the clown looks ok and the tank was set up using mature water, mature rock etc - then I would be tempted to leave the clown, they are in the damsel family - are you testing for the big 3 Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate
    if the 1st 2 are 0 and the other is below 30ppm - then I would not move the clown

the nem does not look good in my limited experience with these creatures
    and its the nem that needs a really mature tank to thrive in - some say 6 months others believe your success is increased if you allow the tank to be set up for 1 year before adding a nem

the nem dying in there would be a massive problem for all the other inhabitants, toxins are released that can wipe out everything
    are you using carbon in your filter? its a good idea to do so

IMO - a better idea would be to remove that nem, allow your tank 6 months, research the nem you want, ensure your lighting and water quality are good enough for said nem and then if its all good, go for it

Steve

4. agiuliano87

agiuliano87 Astrea Snail

the water and rocks in there came from m boyfriends tank, a tank of someone else we knew who was getting rid of it because hes being sent to japan( hes in the marines) and rocks from the LFS that they got from someone who was breaking down their tank. Each piece has a TON of algae on it. The only thing I bought new was the sand. I was thinking of moving the anemone to his tank...but could it possibly kill stuff in his too? He has a 90 gal.. The clown looks fine, he eats alot and no ick or anything. He really loves the anemone too hes constantly in the thing. The xenia, two mushrooms, hermits and the clown are all fine its just the nem that was acting weird today... hes fine now but still not eating.

5. jossmalo

jossmalo Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Anemones can be very dangerous. I had one in an older 55 gallon tank that was about 4 months old under insignificant light and he didn't make it. Just prior to him acually dieing he started to look similar to the pictue you posted. You need to watch it very carefully. As someone else stated add carbon if you can, because he can be toxic... and I'm not kidding. If he starts to look like a gel, you know for sure it is dead, but you should be able to smell it just before it dies.

If you tank starts to give off an odor, get it out right away! Once it is dead it gives off an odor that will plague your house and will kill everything in your tank.

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Nems dont need to be fed every day IMO - once a week, very small portion or once every other week is normally enough for most
    one reason quality lighting is required by nems is they have symbiotic algae living in their tissue and thus get nutritional value from the photosynthetic activity of said algae

some people have kept nems and only very infrequently offered solid food

nems deflate to get rid of water in their bodies and then later they inflate with new water
    they do this mostly during darkness - like many corals they shut down at night
    if they do this very often, they are telling you that the water quality is not good enough for them, hence they keep expelling it and trying again ( in the wild it would be all new water around them in the time it takes them to do this)

if the conditions are better in your BF tank , and the lighting is adequate, and its been set up longer, it may do very well in that tank - But CARBON (capital letters as its important not because Im shouting, I dont shout at my friends) if the nem does go down hill quickly some good quality carbon in the filter system can remove those toxins and could preserve the other inhabitants

Steve

7. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

I noticed you stated that they told you the lights that came with your tank were adequate for corals. You do know an anemone is not a coral, right? Most lights bulbs that come with fixtures really arent good for much more than to just see in the tank.
    Anemones need very powerful lights as the bacteria inside of them feed from it, giving anemone their source of food and lovely colors.
    IMO even your bfs 3 month old tank isn't established enough for a nem. If you honestly must have it, and I assume you feel you do by reading your protesting posts, then yes, put it in his tank. Otherwise if you truely care about a living creature and don't want to cause it a slow death, take it back.
    Just because a LFS gives you discounts doesn't mean they are a good LFS, it just means that once you are more knowledgeable you can take advantage of that.
    As for your tank being cycled, it takes a couple of weeks for the tank to show any spikes in ammonia, Nitrates and nitrites. And no, as some of us have stated before, taking water from another tank does nothing to benefit your tank. All if will do is carry whatever trace elements, illness, parasites, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, and grime from one tank to another.

8. Click Here!

9. agiuliano87

agiuliano87 Astrea Snail

well the anemone was in his tank at first, but he gave it to me because his clowns wouldn't go to it. Mine went to it right away. The anemone did fine in his tank, so i'm not willingly trying to kill it slowly as your saying. We just thought it would do better with a clown in it. The lights I have a coralife which I was told were like the best ones you could get.

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

This post is far from helpful.

aguiliano87: Please take the advice that has been given here over that which has been given to you by your LFS or there is no way that you will succeed in this hobby. You can make as many arguments for your LFS's advice as you want. Everything that they have told you thus far is completely wrong. If you continue to listen to their advice, you will end up being very disappointed.

2 people like this.
  11. fazool666

fazool666 Sea Dragon

12. agiuliano87

agiuliano87 Astrea Snail

I just did another water test today and everything is still 0, and ph is now 8.2 but thats cause the bf put some kinda ph stuff to raise the level a little. Im probably just going to bring the nem back today just to be safe.