Anemone Debate

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Robman, May 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

No I got out a while back... I work for Reef Nutrition :)

I've done just about every facet of this industry besides actual collection, but, I have helped set-up collection stations remotely :D

2. Click Here!

3. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Nice!!! Send samples!!!;)

4. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Thanks to everyone who posted here!!! I have learned alot about nems, and other people's views. I love 3reef!!!

5. Sharkbate

Sharkbate Coral Banded Shrimp

This is a great discussion. Ive had little luck w/ nems in my 4 and 1/2 years of reef keeping. We can ask 50 questions and research as much as we want ....opinions and answers are many from a-z.

My buddy has had the same nem for over 3 years. I couldnt keep any alive, and my tank is much healthier and balanced (consistent proper params). Some things are unexplainable. Its true, nems are difficult, so my pair of clowns will call torch/ frogspawn home.

I just arrived home after a week of fun in Roatan. I saw a 30' long wall of LT and Sebae nems 5' feet from the waters surface ...healthy, plump and colorful ...hundreds of them. Ill leave nature to care for anti-captivity reef inhabitants.

Every post in this thread makes a significant statement in some way. Its a good idea to share, rather than compete with our knowledge and opinions.

PS ....we were all newbies once ...sometimes twice!

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  6. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Well Stated!!!!

1 person likes this.
  7. Sharkbate

You also Robman .....great "awareness" thread! Karma and props to you!!

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I'll give my opinion. I don't have any actual experience with anemones, but have done a fair amount of research on them when I was considering getting one. First, many people assume that any clownfish will host any anemone, they don't realize that certain clowns host certain anemones. (generally speaking). I also believe that anemones should be kept in the ocean where they belong. They are just one of those animals in this hobby that shouldn't be kept in the home aquarium. I also agree in that there have seemed to be many posts about anemones being sucked into powerheads, or melting away or moving around the tank and getting stuck in some crevice etc.

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

There were some comments about entitlement and what not about being able to do what you want... P's view on that is that nobody is entitled to a darn thing. nem's included.

not to say i'm against it though.

So I'm thinking... why do we even care? Not some tired "because it's life" argument - tell that to the higher life form mosquito you swat.

Are they rare? Endangered? Threatened? Or do we see zillions at the LFS... Are there zillions more at sea?

Is it because they are "suffering". Is that a word you can even apply to a nem? Or is this like the fish suffering through cycle sort of thing?

Really, I'm being devil's advocate :devil2: but I haven't read anything in this thread that's a descent reason for the practice to stop.

Or is that just terrible of me to even say?

11. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

No that is your opinion, and I respect it!!:)

12. Sharkbate

Well done Guitarman ..... not to mention that 1 anemone can kill/ eat corals, or die and kill the tank completely.

If only aptasia nems were so difficult to keep. Little suckers reproduce like wabbits!