Anemone Debate

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Robman, May 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

See!!!! We are all learning something!! That was the reason for the debate;)

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

The statistics are fairly bad. Here are the results of a survey that Joyce Wilkerson took.

Anemone Survey - Joyce Wilkerson

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

50+ is a lowball estimate of how long anemones can live. I've heard numbers 100+ to indefinitely.

It's largely because they split to reproduce. If you get a split, do you count over from "birth", or keep counting? Either one seems to do the length of time a great injustice.

5. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Wow...Kinda validates my point. I am not flaming anyone...I just want everyone to re-think the anemone issue. Its gotta start somewhere. It is still a supply and demand world. If demand goes away, so will supply.

6. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

I'm gonna have to find out if Gary's anemone is still going..I know he had it for as long as I could remember (6yrs until i was about 16) then the family moved to Cleveland..and the last time I was there to visit was probably 2001 and the same nem was still going strong thats from at least 1989 to 2001 and his tank was no where NEAR new in 1989 but I really dont know WHEN he got the nem i just remember the first time I got to see it :) His tank is what made me want to get into the hobby

1 person likes this.
  7. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Dated study, we've porgressed a lot since then

OK but just how old is the study given she passed away a couple years ago?

NM I see it's on Thiels site, it must be pretty dang old then ;)

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I doubt the numbers have gotten any better. Anemones have momentum in the market because of Nemo, and more people who are uninformed about these animals and the very specialized care they require have the will and access to them at a local PetCo for a very small investment. I've never seen an anemone above $45 at my local PetCo, and those were carpet anemones. The BTAs are ~$22.

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

11. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I do as husbandry has gotten a lot better. I spent 10 years in wholesale and watched how handling improved on that side. Some very large strides have been made on that side of the CoC (chain of custody).

While Petco is massive, each store doesn't order that much saltwater. Saltwater is a lost leader for them. The ONLY reason they have it is other sales dropped when they tried to remove it.

in 96 you'd be hard pressed to find a BTA that made it through to a store, let alone a clone. Now I can find literally a thousand clones online alone. In 96 they were like cut flowers. Now a lot of people have success with them.

I do not disagree some should be left alone. IMO carpets should stay in the ocean.

1 person likes this.
  12. Robman

Robman Great White Shark