Anemone Debate

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Robman, May 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

On the flip side of that argument. I wouldn't keep anemones in the store. If a customer wanted one and I felt they were experienced enough, I would order one in for them.

I didn't approach anemones this way strictly for ethical reasons. There were practical reasons too. I didn't want to have to deal with a customer whose corals get killed or their tank gets nuked.

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

I have a GBTA in my tank, but I waited about a year before I put it in there....they can live successfully in captivity, growing up my best friend's dad had a nem with clowns in his tank for over 10years...and I think he still may have the same one 10 years later. You just have to know what your doing...and granted most people don't...but people that do it successfully shouldnt be griped at for doing so :)

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I have no gripe with someone who is experienced with reefs, and willing to dedicate a setup to keeping an anemone. I have a gripe with the people who go to petco and buy it 2 weeks after they setup the tank. Even people who just willy-nilly add it to a current setup are doing something unneccesarily risky.

If you're willing to do an anemone, you had better be willing to set up the tank, have it up for 6+ months with no corals, then put in the anemone and let it settle before you get a single coral, if any. Anemones will kill corals when they move, and the corals shouldn't be put at risk either; they're just as valuable a natural resource as the anemones.

5. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

Like I said they still eventually did there first brain surgery on somebody.

But Blackraven and Robman. Im not disagreeing with either of you. As you said this was a forum for debate.

I personally researched getting an anenome and after that I realized it probably wasnt a good or fair idea. So im not taking offense but I just dont believe I can get mad at someone else for somthing as long as they have weighed the pros and cons.

As far as the powerhead remark. not the answer i was looking for. The reason Robman started this thread was because of him seeing a post with a powerhead with an anenome caught So if you guys are really concerned about it, I would think schooling on this is needed.

6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

This same argument can be said about several fish - moorish idols, mandarins, etc. As long as people keep buying them, the stores will keep stocking them. The solution would have to come with laws and enforcement.

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Yes that thread was the reason, but that was one of many many threads just like it. While we are talking about this, I am looking on the web for that peticular article. While I still have not found that one. There are several, that state the same things about nems. They are just not suited for tanks...Mine, and apparantly several others opinions that are alot smarter than I am. One of the above posts said that someone had kept a nem for possibly going on 20 yrs. Nems can live over 50yrs in the sea. I havent heard of too many people, experienced or not, keeping them that long....just sayin'

10. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

Agreed...i wish people would turn their powerheads off for a day or 2 if they decide to get a nem...once they get settled in a good spot they really shouldnt move much..then turn the powerheads on 1 at a time 1 day at a time to let the new get used to it...thats what i did..I have 3 powerheads in my tank...day 1 of the GBTA Off with the powerheads...day 2 off with the powerheads...day 3 furthest powerhead on...make sure the nem doesnt move, day 4 next closest powerhead...make sure nem doesnt move cuz of the extra flow...day 5 all powerheads (made this a day that i would be home watching my tank all day) and my nem hasnt moved since.

11. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Agreed Kacy, however, it is much more likely with the right params, to keep certain fish to their life expectancy. Not so with nems. They have a life expectancy of 50+ in the sea!

12. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

What! 50 years??