Anemone Debate

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Robman, May 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

Sorry to jump in at the end of this thread (took so bloody long to read it) but I think the most important take away is RESEARCH. Everyone needs to do it, before purchasing any organism. And not just from one source, the more the better. I know in my past I have been guilt of lack of preparation before getting tank buddies.

There is a hierarchy of organism, that's the way the world works. That doesn't mean the lesser organisms need to be poorly shipped and keep, in the case of nemes, because they "dont feel pain" doesn't mean they are expendable. IMO and I know its crazy I give more valve to organism in the ocean then land duelers

2. Click Here!

3. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

btw Sostoudt nice enterprise drop! ;D;D;D

4. Sheliaknows

Sheliaknows Fire Worm

some of these comments are quite offensive IMO. I am by no means an experienced person in this hobby but dont go around saying crap like nems shouldn't be in our tanks and that yor sick of seeing posts of nems in powerheads and all that. I have a LTA thats been with me from the start (2 years+). It has not moved once, it has not split, has not faded, has not walked into a powerhead or melted away. why dont you go as far as saying you shouldn't keep corals in fishtanks? i see lost of post of ppl having trouble with coral?? Needless to say if you don't know how to care for something you shouldn't have it. Also i think it to be way more accurate to say certain species of nems shouldn't be in a tank. for example the magnifica anemone will walk all over non stop, try and find one that wont move is not gonna happen. IMO this anemone should not be in a tank for the obvious reasons of walking into powerheads and knockin stuff over.

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

At issue wasn't the 5% of people that do their homework, set up a tank and pretty much leave it for 6+ months, and aquascape it with a nem in mind.

It was the 95% that go to PetCo, put it in with a clownfish in a tank that isn't done cycling, and come and look for help with their dead nem that they didn't do jack in terms of research about.

6. Sheliaknows

Sheliaknows Fire Worm

oh i understood the point trying to be conveyed but the reality is humans are impulsive, meaning they see something they want and if it is possible to have it they'll have it. not all people but about 95%. It's the same with buying a sports car that you know is gonna give you a repair bill longer than your arm but you just have to have it! well when your car breaks down you panic and take it to the mechanic. With fish and nems, people panic and come on 3reef! You can try and prevent this and tell everyone till your blue in the face but there is unfortunatlly still no cure for.... stupid! lol (aka. Fishtankitisochious)

7. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

how do you know they dont feel pain? i feel every thing living feels pain.

im not against amenones in the tank i had a rose bubble anemone which i purchased from anothers tank . it multiplied very well and now friends have one from my tank.
    setting up this new tank a friend already asked if i would like one back. since they also multiplied in his tank. so the comment that they dont thrive in tanks? well?????

i do feel that when you can you should go for tank raised fish and corals, etc. but thats not always possible :(

as far as anemones being tied up in the pump. protect them! put the sponge cover on it. its a pain i know to clean that sponge cover of food and debris. but you are this pets keeper now and should look at it that way. and try to keep them happy n healthy.

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Well, that goes to whether how one defines what is sentient and how one defines stimulus-response. It's something that science and philosophers argue about endlessly.

You're basing this comment off of a sample size of 2 tanks???? My sample size that I base my recommendations is based on a whole heck of a lot of anemones. EDIT: The previous could sound confrontational and that wasn't my intent. I should have just left it at I've literally seen hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of anemones die.Anemones are not properly cared for all the time. They bleach and slowly starve and the owner doesn't even know it. They think it's just fine because they don't know how that species of anemone should really look. People set up their anemones to fail with improper lighting, improper (or inconsistent) water parameters, etc. They think because their anemone lasted 5 years, they did a good job. Well, when one considers how long they would have lived in the ocean, 5 years is a HORRIBLE job. With that said, there are also people who do all of the right things and their anemone does fine.....especially the E. quadricolor's like you had. I congratulate you on your success but for the most part it's true. Most anemone's don't THRIVE in our tanks. There are a few species that SURVIVE BUT NOT THRIVE. Then there are also a lot of people with a lot of research under their noggin and they can get even the more difficult species to thrive.

AMEN!!!!

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  10. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

I'm 100% behind you Robman, as much as I do want a nem I would in no way buy one. Some things should just be left in the ocean and not in our tanks.

11. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I feel that a sufficiently-sized long tentacle plate coral is a very good cure for nemamania.

12. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

I also jumped in mostly at the end...sorry it is such a long thread! :) How do you feel about nems that successfully reproduce in captivity? Even if one person didn't care for them in the same tank, etc... for more than 5 years is reproduction sufficient for success? I have heard the potential lifespan of fish compared to average lifespan in captivity to suggest the aquarium husbandry is often dismal. But average life in the wild is much shorter that potential lifespan. Should that be the goal? What about the argument that it is the "purpose" of an animal to reproduce and once that is reached their life was successful....? Fun thread, now to check pages 5-8