Anemone Debate

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Robman, May 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Threads like these always stir up trouble. Probably best to just close it.

My favorite part of this is when someone gets pissy and decides to give you -K. Like the guy that is quoted below this...

2. Click Here!

3. fish-aholic 94

fish-aholic 94 Gigas Clam

For once I have to agree.
    Some take it to personally, or try to put down someone else’s opinion.

4. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

Well since everyone else has said something i might as well too................something :)

5. fish-aholic 94

fish-aholic 94 Gigas Clam

fail

6. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Dude can't you just drop it? Geeesh

7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

i think it is absurd to leave -K just because you disagree with them.

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

great, so leave it at that and quit being so rude about it. We know you don;t agree with him. We got that like 15 posts ago :lol:

Why are you subjecting all of 3reef to your dislike for some one/. Simply ignore him.

1 person likes this.
  10. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Don't make me throw my anemone at someone!!!;D

Hope this does not offend anyone!

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I can't tell you how many people would come in because their anemone died and their clownfish NEEDED an anemone so they wanted to replace it. (Ummm, no it doesn't). What kind of lighting do you have? I don't know. Ok, are they squares like this or are they long tubes like this? I don't know, it's in a hood. What's your specific gravity? What's that? That's similar to your salinity. Oh, that's fine. Ok, but what exactly is it? Anemones like to be at higher salinities. I don't know. Did you bring in a water sample for me to test? No, but I took a sample to XYZ LFS a month ago and they told me it was fine. What kind of clownfish do you have? There are different kinds of clownfish?

Would you sell an amenome to this person? On the flip side, let's assume I didn't care at all and sold it to them. When it dies and they post on a forum that it died, everyone would call me a scumbucket who is only after money for selling an anemone to someone who shouldn't have one. I was always in a no-win situation. If I refused to sell it, I was an arrogant jerk. If I sold it, I was going to get made fun of in my local club forums. This is why I stopped ordering anemones.

My opinion re: anemones is all over 3Reef. I'm still of the opinion that most people that have them, really shouldn't. (Again, I know there are responsible people who do research and are very obsessive/compulsive regarding tank parameters...I'm not talking about them). I've seen things that you haven't. An order of 5 anemones will come in, 3 will die in transit, one will die within 2 days at the store, and then one will be good enough for sale. That's to make it to the Midwest. I know many others died en route to LAX. That amount of death is completely unacceptable to me. I don't care if they are a simple organism or not. There are other organisms that ship poorly. That's why I had local sources for anemone's, xenia, cespitularia, etc. I can't regulate people's behavior, however I could regulate whether or not I was a part of it. That's why I stopped ordering any anemone's at all. I know it didn't really matter.....they just went to the LFS down the road and bought one. Yes, there are anemone death threads in my club forum too.

12. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

my father is a very successful anemone keeper, he has one of these that has split into over a hundred different ones
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (I am aware of what they are)

1 person likes this.