Anemone compatiblity, hosts and its care???

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by nanomania, Sep 24, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I don't have any experience with the dart fish so I can't comment on that. Blennies are very peaceful and do a good job eating algae. I know you said you wanted a green bubble tip anemone but I was talking to my LFS (I just found him and I'm so excited) and he said that actually the RBTA are a little hardier than the GBTA. I had not heard that before so thought I would share. I know the rose are more expensive but they are beautiful. If you like shrimp, have you given any thought to a pistol shrimp/goby combo (instead of the blenny perhaps)? I'm planning on adding them when I can finally get my parameters under control to keep an anemone. I just learned about this relationship - they evidently form a bond - you need to have sand though. Just a couple thoughts....

2. Click Here!

3. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

well i cant afford an RBTA for now as its costing my 200$ in my country. im going for gbta thats why (20$). also have read that BTAs are the most hardiest of all and can stay without feeding too, il feed them once a week frozen mysis dipped in selcon. as for fish, currently my clowns killed my new yellowtail damsel. so ill have to add fishes in such an order that no fishes get agressive (clowns last).

4. nanomania

added big chromis to my tank, clowns and chromis are doing fine......

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Sorry about your damsel. I think your plan sounds good. That is quite a difference in terms of price on the different types of BTA's, WOW! yes, I've read that too that the BTA's seem to be the hardiest to keep. Good luck! I'm not sure how much of a choice you have in terms of fish, but check out a starry blenny and a barnacle blenny (I just saw the barnacle here on the forum and they are so cute) - I have a starry and they are really cool looking. I'm not sure they eat algae as well as a lawnmower though.

6. nanomania

yup, i know them, they look kool but i want algae eater. i was planning on cucumber but since its so toxic, i dont wana risk it......

7. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I am not sure that is a bad thing; my LMB won't eat anything besides algae. I am not always sure he is getting enough to eat :-/

8. Click Here!

9. oyf709

oyf709 Bristle Worm

I think to get better RO/DI unit with better skimmer works better than counting on any live stock to keep algea in check. Just my own opinion tho

10. nanomania

well i like some algae in tank as it looks more close to nature. pure algae free tank looks like a show piece and i dont like that......

11. nanomania

i can feed my LMB nori if im out of algae..... im confused between urchins and LMB....

12. oyf709

oyf709 Bristle Worm

yes and no. I get the point algea exists in some area of the shore, however, you are handling a contained environment, unlike the sea, the water volume allow you to have certain things happen and won't cost any issue. Hoever, in a fish tank, expecialy in a smaller tank that is under 100g. You are force to control thse alge, otherwise it will basicly term your tank upside down.