Anem question

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Dingo, Nov 16, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Hey all... Long time no see!

Anyways, I couldn't stay away from corals so I had to get some. I got a few easy things like lps, cyphastrea, some nps stuff from last year, and even though I said I wouldn't go back to sps... I did hahaha!
    A few weeks ago I decided that since I've never had an anemone before I would try one. So yesterday my clown decided it liked nems. And today the nem is closed up pretty tight.

What should I expect to happen next?

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

would need to know what nem we are talking about to help you further, also your lighting specs please. the hardier anemone species are condys and quadricolors (bubble tips).

i doubt the clowns are the cause of your nem closing (unless it ate one). signs of a healthy anemone is first and for most, in my experience, a solid grasp on the rock work with its foot. an anemone can and will inflate and deflate according to water parameters, light and feedings.

i would only worry if you saw your anemone at the mercy of the currents created by your pumps on the sand bed with a gaping open mouth.

4. Swisswiss

awesome quotes btw

5. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Hi Swiss, thank you:
    I'm far from worried about the nem, just don't have prior experience with them.
    Lighting is radiums, Params are never an issue. Flow is three mp40s and a sea swirl. The nem scooted around for a few days after introduction but seems to have found a happy spot.

6. Swisswiss

really hope its the case, I don't want to freak you out but its when they roam for said "sweet spot" that they are most likely to end up in a power head (lost one myself this way). ironically turning the pumps off as the anemone moves will not help for when you turn them on again chances are she will roam further.

what species anemone is this? and out of curiosity what clowns do you have :)

lighting should be more than sufficient, and if parameters are not an issue then thats definitely a good thing.

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Happy almost B-Day Trent. :) that is all.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Hey Trent, good to see you again. :)

What you should see next depends on the nem and why it closed. Sometimes we don't know why. It's just something they do periodically. In that case, it may open within hours and remain fully inflated. If perhaps it found *the* perfect spot where flow and footing are concerned but the lighting is a little strong, it may only open partially periodically until it's fully acclimated.

IMOPE, nems are relatively easy. The hardest part for most is leaving it alone when it doesn't open and look happy right away. Moving it around or changing it's environment keeps it stressed. The second biggest mistake is feeding too much and/or too often. With sufficient lighting or quality fish food floating around occasionally (most tanks have both, btw), most nems don't require feeding at all. At best, one may promote abnormally vigorous growth and reproduction, but in many cases, overfeeding leads to the nem's early demise.

HTH

1 person likes this.
  10. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Thanks Cheryl! I'm really looking forward to those cheaper car insurance rates lol ;)

Hi Mr. Bill! Hope all is well in your neck of the woods. Thanks for the advice!
    Are any of the new Maryland laws to protect the bay affecting you at all? The law that they imposed on nitrogen reducing septic tanks has for us. We are one of the four approved state suppliers for the BAT septic systems so we are busier with our precast division than we have ever been.

11. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

You're quite welcome. ;)

Glad to hear everything is well on your end. Yes, we are affected- We're a major supplier of crushed stone products in MD, PA, and DE, and sales just keep climbing with the new laws regarding construction entrances to jobsites, as well as permanent erosion and run-off control in all 3 states. We actually had to install new crushers and lease more trucks, and are now running 10 hours 6 days per week instead of 9 hours for 5 to keep up with the demand. :D

12. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

York building products? We just switched back to them for our sand and stone.
    We moved away to Vulcan for the last two years because YBP was stripping the fines out of our stone for blacktop. Our 57's were out of spec all the time.