...And Another Wierd Hitchiker

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by CODEE111, Jun 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CODEE111

CODEE111 Peppermint Shrimp

Hydroid?
    Panfish,

I might be wrong on this but this is how I translate it:

Hydroids are teeny microscopic creatures in the ocean. They are most likely part of the food chain. If I remember right, they feed on Phytoplankton and that is why I think they came in on the Pods.

When some fish (including Clowns), clams, crabs, and microscopic critters are born, they come out in a larvae stage. This larvae is consumed by baby fish and corals as a food source.

Zooplankton and Phytoplankton mess me up a bit...I think Zooplankton is a form of Phytoplankton and this, I've alway thougtht, is the nasty green stuff that is pooling in the ocean. I could be wrong in my thinking.

Long story short.. I think my Snowflake should have been someones meal.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Zooplankton: Animal, perhaps larva or mature in one form or another.

Phytoplankton: Plant.

Both pelagic, free floating until they either settle to form more mature forms or they complete their reproduction in the free floating state.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  4. CODEE111

Some of those were beautiful.....I should be so lucky...even though one is poisonous to corals. Would be cool to have a hydroid only tank...lol:bouncylau

5. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

No, I know what a hydroid is, I have som ;)
    It was my ID attempt, but I was unsure so I put a ?

6. CODEE111

I've been watching the different reef sights for awhile and you're right, I do seem to have a lot of unusual hitchikers out while the lights are on.

I'll have to get an LED light tomorrow after work. No plans on Sunday so I guess I'll stay up and see what is going on in my tank. Seems to be a lot of activity.

I brought up the Hydroid link and did observe the finger looking things so I think they are a hydroid as well. Time will tell I guess.

7. CODEE111

Thanks for clearing that up. You 3Reefers are a lot smarter than I am.:oops:

Glad I got ya all here to help me.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. CODEE111

Oh...too funny...sometimes I'm a Duh.::)

10. CODEE111

I got the LED light and stayed up Saturday night to see what is going on in my tank when the lights are out. I couldn't see very well with the LED light so I turned the lights on.

Once the lights came on, There were red or orange colors (possibly bristleworms), scattering into the rocks. I thought some of the white critters were probably pods scattering.

I used my magnifier to scan the tank and oberserved a lot of life on the rocks and side of the glass. One critter was stuck to the glass, was totally clear like the Hydroids, and had a bell looking top with tentacles....very similar looking to a tiny Jellyfish and at first, that's what I thought it was. There were also some straw looking things coming out the rocks that had little tentacles coming out of the top. Something with a very round white bottom stuck to the glass with tentacles pointing outward. A very large brown looking slug thing (I've seen him once before when the lights came on). There was also a fat piece of clear fleshy looking thing with one finger sticking up. Most of these are quite possibly Hydroids. Also observed several more of the snowflake looking hitchhikers in the picture except some of them had a different look to them.

All of the Hydroid looking things were very small and I was surprised to see quite a variation of critters either scattering for the rocks or hanging out on the glass or rocks.

11. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Just be careful turning on the lights after they've been out for a while. It disorients the fish.

12. CODEE111

I didn't know that....Thank you for letting me know so I don't do that again.:eek: