An Open Letter to EcoTech Marine

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Matt Rogers, Feb 18, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

If we can't discuss arguably their biggest competitor of another product then what's the point of these forums? I'm not bashing anyone, it's just discussion.

Charging $250+ for a powerhead doesn't exactly scream thatt ecotech cares about my reef, personally. They make good products no doubt, I personally can't justify spending THAT much more. Hopefully that will become more apparent to evotech as well, and in turn offer their products at prices that are manageable for the average reefer.

If your main reason for disliking it is that it's made overseas then you might want to reevaluate the rest of your belongings.

2. Click Here!

3. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Good point with the see swirl. I didnt even think about the fact of supporting the true innovater in the industry, but was more thinking about the fires caused my using odessya lighting units that were a penny on the dollar compared to a quality metal halide. Odyssea is now aquastraders because they were such a terrible company. Thats the problem with these chinese manufactors and companies, they make crap and get a terrible rep so no one buys anymore and then they rename their company so everyone thinks its a new one. When its really the same junk usually same exact product just a different sticker. Not sure if this is the case with jabeo or not but I dont believe they are considered a quality brand like echotech, api, kessel, hagen, etc. Time will tell if they hold up or not and I doubt they will be like the lighting fixtures causing fires but I dont trust them until they are tested.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  4. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Most companies perform a service that is good for customers. The inovators inovate and bring us great products. As long as they do it lawfully, the knock-offs keep costs reasonable and bring a similar product to people who may not have or want to spend as much.

Its all good and we benefit from the competition. That said, I've learned over time its worth it to buy the best. I love my Ecotech pumps. I love my ATI light. I love my Bubble King. I believe long term I'm getting value for money in reliability, service, quality, and piece of mind.

There are things they could each do to improve their products however and Matt's points on the pumps are spot on. + yet another 1.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Charging that much for a powerhead may seem insane but when you spend thousands on corals and fish its a drop in the bucket. Many people spend $300 on a coral nevermind a pump! And thats usually as frags, by the time they have grown to huge colonies they are sometimes worth thousands!!! Spending the little extra on a reef like that is worth it to many aquarists which is why we do spend the money in the first place. If you have a fish onyl system or onyl a few soft corals it is not worth it IMO but when you dive into the expensive and difficutl world of sps its a whole new ball game.
    We can discuss this on these forums and there were threads awhile back comparing them and debating these topics. THIS thread is about an open letter to echotech to improve their product that is already well known, used, and respected through the industry. We are digressing from the OP and I have helped continue lead this thread off topic. My apologies to mark rogers on this. If you want to continue this discussion start a new thread devoted to it so we dont continue to go off topic as I will not be responding any further to this issue on this thread.

6. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

They need to just make a touch screen led interface much like a smartphone. That should/would be a relatively easy thing given their past technological break throughs, and given the technology already exists, it could be easy to implement.

I have no personal experience with the new reef link. But maybe they're trying to make that the user interface and do away with the current design. Kind of bypassing the need to control it from the controller...

Idk all I know is I was thinking the same thing, they've unveiled multiple modifications to the radions and kinda left the vortechs on the back burner.

Personally id like to see the 20s come back, I was new to the hobby right at the time they disappeared and they kept the 10, 40, & 60s. But that's another topic in itself.

Lots of good points you mentioned matt!

7. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

My last point on this. I think you may have misread the title of this thread. This was not an open discussion of top powerheads and best bang for the buck. It is a thread devoted to "ECOTECH" and some improvements users would like to see addressed. As PGHsteeler for the amount of money we spend on corals, pristine water, lighting, tanks, and livestock then spending a few hundred bucks on one of the most important factors of our reef "flow" should be no question and right up there with the rest of our very expensive products.

And my main reason for disliking them is the fact they are copy cats, no originality they stole ecotechs wave patterns and tunzes design. There was no mention of the fact they are made overseas. You should really read my post before quoting it and claiming I dislike it because they are made in China. I'm not racist nor do I care if it is made in China, so please don't throw out wild accusations that you clearly MADE UP. I mentioned caring about our reefs by making battery backup technology to prevent disaster in a power outage, not for charging a premium for a premium product.
    Rant over.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Timeout.
    There has been some absolutely fabulous feedback here and could as a whole be presented to EcoTech.

But it is starting to tip out of scope and getting emotional.
    Let's bring this back on topic and not derail into arguments on side points.

Thanks. :)

matt

1 person likes this.
  10. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

Good post. Agree 110%.

11. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I sold my two jeabo wp-40s and got ecotech mp40s. Turns out I got paid to use their product with the black Friday rebate.

My only comments to Ecotech would be: Build me a wireless temperature controller to sync to my Reeflink. And a skimmer, and a return pump. Maybe a calcium reactor and/or dosing pump. Dance for me tech monkeys!

1 person likes this.
  12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Please take debates about the jaebo pumps to PM. I've deleted two recent posts that were not about vortechs and bitter to say the least. More posts like that will get this thread closed. :p